Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Importing Assemblies

MechaMecha Member Posts: 7
1) I noticed when importing a moderate size X-T assembly, all of my parts ended up stacked in a single location. It makes it really difficult to use it, with every imported part in a common origin.

2) I noticed when importing surfaces, they get translated into the part studio, but not the assembly. they are not considered parts at all and the geometry cannot be used.

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited August 2014
    In the sending CAD system, save the assembly into a part file. This produces bodies in a part file. Then import the part file.

If sending CAD is SW, open your assembly then click save-as sldprt, all components. You can then save the part file as a parasolids and bring it in or just import the sldprt. That's how I got my SW geometry into Onshape.
  • scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Also... we do not fully support surface yet so there are lots of limitation when creating and importing them. Currently, they will not show up in assemblies.
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Tip for part studio parts all coming in on top of each other.

Bill described one viable option of saving a SW part file from a SW assembly. And this is a viable option. However Onshape actually will do this for you if you select the option flatten uploaded assemblies as part studios.

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    I have a SW part that will not import correctly (i.e. bodies missing) but it does import correctly using parasolid. Is OS interested in debugging?
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    If there are specific issues, please submit a ticket from the feedback form in the ? menu so we can debug it. Thanks...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Research_01Research_01 OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 301 PRO
    FYI I was toying with the idea of doing some bolean functions in an assembly. This cannot be done currently. So I took that assembly and translated it to STEP then took the STEP file tab and translated it to onshape with the Flatten assembly to part studio. That allowed me to be in the Part studio environment and do some bolean functions on a part.

File this under nifty workaround :)
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2014
    @Ben‌ This would make more sense when we have in-context editing since boolean operations should live in the part studio, not the assembly, unless it was like an assembly feature.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    If you really want to best SW - then allow the user to reorient the default coordinate system in OS as an option. SW users have been asking for this since day-one.

M
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited August 2014
    To me the proper fix to this problem is to transform the geometry. I don't think a simple view manipulation will be enough.

How hard is it to rotate geometry 90 degrees about X while translating it? There's gotta be a function for this? Hopefully. Should be one line of code attached to one checkbox.

@bill‌
    I don't think a simple view manipulation will be enough.

Hi Bill, if you are addressing my response I'm not talking about a view reorientation but actually reorienting the default coordinate sys and default datums to be Y is up verses Z is up.

M
    Yes I was making a comment to your suggestion and stretching it a little further. My fear is that OS's solution will be a view manipulation which is how spaceclaim solved this problem. This doesn't work as drawing orientations aren't correct and other things don't propagate and work correctly after this quick fix.

Sorry, I didn't intend to demean your comment. Sounds like you want to move the root coordinate to the geometry and I want to move geometry about the root coordinate. I think we're on the same page.

OS please don't change default view with 'Y' up. This is what I should have said.
  • stevehessstevehess Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 98
    HI @mbiasotti‌ , I completely agree re: coord systems orientation; a method of mapping coordinate systems (or setting CS orientation) is in the works. Soon..... I'll add you to the ticket on that one.
    Steve Hess \ Onshape Inc.