Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

'Too much geometry' with Linear Pattern

simon_dsimon_d Member Posts: 6
edited May 2016 in Community Support
I'm trying to model an architectural walkway mesh using the linear pattern tool to repeat a drawing but I get an error message ' This pattern would create too much geometry' can anyone suggest a way around this? 

Answers

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @simon_d It would be nice if you mention how many instances you want to pattern along both directions. 
  • Options
    simon_dsimon_d Member Posts: 6
    Hi @shashank_aarya It is repeated 29 times in one direction and 55 in the other so 1595 instances.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,395
    Try making a smaller subset of the pattern as a part, then pattern the part.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Sketch patterns are capped by the total number of sketch entites that are created.  In other words, if you pattern 4 lines you can have a higher instance count than if you pattern 8 lines.  I would try removing non-essential instances from the pattern, breaking it up into different patterns, or try doing a part/face pattern instead.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @simon_d In general it is a good practice to make a pattern of feature rather to pattern sketch entities because it is easier to edit the directions, number of instances of feature pattern than sketch pattern. When sketch of the feature is edited, it automatically reflects to other instances when feature pattern is done which will not happen in sketch pattern. So, I would also like to suggest feature/face pattern as suggested by @jakeramsley
  • Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Just keep in mind that feature patterns are slower than body and face patterns, so if you don't need the feature pattern flexibility for a large pattern, prefer a body or a face pattern.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    alex_ryanalex_ryan Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Why is this an issue at all?  I am trying to make a nest of 100 small parts for waterjet and it just says no.  It would let me make 18 parts at a time.  I could see this limitation on free hobby software but not a pro platform I'm paying $100/month to use.