Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Changes To Onshape's Plans

jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
edited November 2016 in General

Today we announced some changes to Onshape’s Free and Professional Plans.  Here’s a rundown of the changes and why we are making them.

NEW: Removal Of Storage Limits

We’ve completely removed Document storage counting and storage limits from Onshape’s Free Plan.  We found that these calculations of storage, so familiar in the old file-based world, simply do not make sense in a modern database architecture with built-in version control like Onshape.  We also found that working within the storage limits encouraged non-optimal modeling practices, that storage calculations reduced Onshape performance (ugh!) and that Free Plan users were hitting both the Private and the Public storage limits.  Finally, maintaining and debugging the code that implemented storage calculations and limits was taking real R&D time -- time that we can better use for new CAD features.

NEW: 21-day Free Trial of Onshape Pro

We’re excited to announce a new 21-day free trial of Onshape’s Professional Plan with unlimited storage and an unlimited Document count. In the past, CAD users who wanted to evaluate Onshape for their companies were using our Free Plan, which restricted the amount of private storage as well as the number of private Documents they could work with.  Many users complained about the gymnastics of managing public and private data to stay under the storage limits.

In the new Onshape Professional Trial, those limits are gone. For new Professional users putting Onshape to the test with their own projects, this will make it significantly easier to conduct an in-depth evaluation.

NEW: Unlimited Public Storage in Free Plan

For public and open source CAD users - as mentioned earlier, Onshape is removing the 5 GB limit on Public Documents in our Free Plan. You can now use as much Onshape public data storage as you’d like.

NEW: Private Editing Removed From Free Plan

Onshape’s Free Plan will no longer include any Private Document creation or editing (Free Plan users can continue to view Private Documents). Although this news may disappoint some users, the purpose of our Free Plan has always been focused on meeting the needs of hobbyists, makers and open source designers. Existing Free Plan users may continue to edit their private data until December 15, 2016, and at any time, activate a 21-day trial of our Professional Plan (which now provides unlimited Private storage and editing).

NEW: Price Change for New Pro Users Paying Monthly

We have also adjusted our price for new monthly customers on the Professional Plan. Pro subscriptions will remain at $100/month if you purchase or renew annually, but will increase to $125/month for new customers who pay monthly. For our current paid customers, whether monthly or annual, there will be no price changes. You will be grandfathered in at the $100/month rate and can add new users at the same cost.

Lastly, I’d like to invite you to learn more about Onshape’s Enterprise Plan with some fantastic new features coming in the future to help manage larger design teams, including new enterprise-class Administration Tools, Policies and Controls, and Reporting and Analytics.

Thank You,

Jon

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hi @jon_hirschtick,

What about the education plan, does that stay the same?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    Hi @brucebartlett -  Yes. The educational plan will stay the same.  
  • cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Hi @darren_henry

If a user was to go Pro for 3-4 months and then come off pro back to a Free account, what if any penalty would acquire?  Would the data that was created under the Pro plan continue to be Private (viewable only) documents?

Thanks.
    Wade
    imagine.create.deliver
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi @darren_henry

If a user was to go Pro for 3-4 months and then come off pro back to a Free account, what if any penalty would acquire?  Would the data that was created under the Pro plan continue to be Private (viewable only) documents?

Thanks.
    Wade
    You are correct, the data will be view only and private.  None of your private data will become public going from a Professional plan to the free plan.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Few questions:
    1. After downgrade from Pro, will I be able to download my data?
    1a. Will you introduce native file for download?
    2. How about sharing files with Free account user?

edited November 2016
    Hi @michal_1

If you downgrade from Pro to our Free Plan, you will be able to access and download your data in any format that we support for export.  This includes many neutral and industry standard formats including; Parasolid, ACIS, STEP, IGES, DXF, DWG, STL, and others.  As for native data, we do write out SolidWorks native part files, .sldprt (geometry without features).

We currently do not have plans to introduce a native Onshape file download.

As a Professional Subscriber, you can share private data with users on Onshape Free Plan.  These Free Plan users will be able to view, export and download the data if granted permission.  Free Plan users will not be able to edit private data.  

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2016
    What about changing ownership of a private Pro plan document to a Free plan?

Example. I do a CAD job for someone on my Pro plan then transfer ownership to them on their Free plan when finished.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • sean_willmott772sean_willmott772 Member Posts: 6
    Just copied my project to DXF downloaded and removed.
    And with the price increase to the pro version that puts it out of bounds for me as well.
    @brucebartlett

If you are a Pro Plan Subscriber, you can assign ownership of your Private Document to a Free Plan user.  That Free Plan user will have view-only access to that document.  If that Free Plan user then upgrades to Onshape's Professional or Enterprise Plan, they will have full access to that Document and will be able to edit, share, and transfer its ownership.  So, I think it will work in the way you desire.

Darren
  • robert_mcallisterrobert_mcallister Member Posts: 3
    Hi Guys
    Firstly, I love the program, it's great, and I have recommended it to a number of people.
    As some of the other commenters have mentioned, I'm happy to pay to access your service, however I design one or two products per year (I have a mechanical engineering degree but work as a manager at a marine electronics reseller) there's no way I can justify the cost to continue using your service, and there's no way I can make our designs public as a small proportion may become money makers for us.
    I'll still use Onshape for my personal stuff - designing a deck at home, but for work unfortunately this means battling with a version of Turbocad to do my work stuff <Shudders>

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Like many others, I am basically retired and cannot afford $125 USD per month.  I could afford a lower fee (annual $200-250 would be fine).

I also have a problem with software companies promoting and selling immature products.

I will continue to use Onshape and make all of my work public.  One of my personal objectives is to encourage younger persons to use the wonderful world of mechanical design (CAD/CAM).  My way of doing this is to share the knowledge I gained during my many years at the University of Life by publishing in Onshape publicly, completely free designs and drawings.

From now on, for any private designs, I will continue to use Solidworks 2015.  I discontinued my subscription to Solidworks recently, simply because I can no longer afford it.  The nail in the SW coffin last year is that SW greed changed the long agreed rules with regard to back dating the cost of lapsed licences (sound familiar?).  Over the years, I invested around $20,000 AUD in Solidworks, so I may as well continue to use it.  Back to exchanging SW files by email with my old clients. :'( 
  • HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am an early user since public beta and now after this second change of FreePlan deeply disappointed of Onshape .