Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When it goes down.....

TimTim Member Posts: 2
So... I'm sitting here writing this as I wait for Google docs to come back so I can finish writing a proposal for a customer........ So what happens when Onshape goes down? Are there uptime guarantees? Is there a way to work offline? If not now...in the future? 

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Options
    spiked3spiked3 Member Posts: 34
    At worst probably nothing longer or worse than when your local hard drive goes down. Except you will not have to repair it yourself.
    Mike Partain aka Spiked3
    http://www.spiked3.com
  • Options
    mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    everything autosaves so you dont lose work when connection is lost. No offline mode, the software is on the cloud.
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    TimTim Member Posts: 2
    I have lost work with google docs. Not always that simple. 
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I've had it go down once in 6 month, in that 1 case it was after an upgrade and I had clear the browser history to get to work again, after that all good. You find every now and then you have to refresh back to the documents screen but can not once recall ever losing anything. Even better is the History Tool (top left), each step is saved in a session so you can go back a few steps if you make a stuff up.  

I tried to work while camping with 1 bar of 3g on my iPhone, was a bit slow but still usable, so you don't need good internet just takes a bit of time to open doc's. Look in public doc's for https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bc0d6937206b43bc96521413/w/c2cbdba28478453da943efd9 , this is what I opened and worked on.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    ilya_mirmanilya_mirman Member Posts: 24
    If you do not have regular access to an Internet connection, Onshape may not be right for you.  

In that case, you may want to use a desktop installed product such as SolidWorks, Inventor or Pro/E. While internet access occasionally can be a challenge, we believe that is merely one facet (and a small one at that) of the broader question of availability.  Onshape has the highest availability of any CAD system in the world.

Consider the following:
    • The Internet is unavailable much less often than your PC, hard drive or shared drive can crash; much less often than your operating system may require a service pack; and much less often than your CAD application suffers a memory leak, lost data or crash.
    • Your desktop system is never available if you are not in front of it -- and if you are like most people, your mobility far exceeds your CAD data’s mobility.
    A standard cable, fiber, or mobile 4G internet connection like you use for email or web browsing is fine. Onshape’s full product runs on mobile devices, and runs great on standard 4G mobile Internet service.
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Maybe Belgium is an exception, but internet access is extremely ubiquitous over here. The main two ISPs have set up a vast network of public wifi access points (using their subscribers' wireless routers). 3G is very widespread. 4G is rapidly getting there.
    Even our trains are getting wifi soon.
    Availability is the least of my issues with Onshape. I mean that.

Dries
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    OS hasn't gone down, it's been very stable. I'd say more stable than windows running SW (I just struggled with a windows service pack, 3 days).
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    bill said:
    OS hasn't gone down, it's been very stable. I'd say more stable than windows running SW (I just struggled with a windows service pack, 3 days).
    Totally agree. The stability is unbelievable. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    Ya, this is a pretty boring webpage: http://status.onshape.com/history
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    One also has to worry about the uptime for your ISP or even your own local network.  I've been exploring OnS at home and either the ISP or the network wireless router/extenders are dropping online access randomly, especially late in the afternoon.  That really created a problem yesterday.  It sucks having to be your own IT guy.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Have you ever borrowed your customers (or library or coffee shop..) pc to show your cad models? With OnS you can!

And to prepare for the end of the internet, just download critical models in step to local hard drive.
    //rami
  • Options
    david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was at my nephews house on Sunday for my mothers 91st birthday. We fired up his laptop and I showed my brother and nephew OnS. Then I did the invite thing for the nephew and his friend. Worked great. I was 100 miles from home.

Dave

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA