Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude From (again)

ArmindiloArmindilo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
I originally added this as an Improvement Request, but got the response that it is already available. However, the explanation offered doesn't actually work, or at least I can't get it to work. And I can't seem to add any further comments to that thread since it has been answered or closed.

The original thread is here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5446/extrude-from

I want to be able have my sketch on the Top Plane (for example) but start my extrude from a parallel face that is not on the Top Plane, and then specify my end condition as normal (Blind, To Vertex, To Face, etc...). Basically have a Start Condition as well as the existing End Condition.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    You can still respond and comment. In your image you would extrude up to surface to the (start from here) face and do the second direction up in the same direction. Does that work?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    I left a comment on the other thread, but I can't see it, that's why I started this one; not sure what's going on with it.

Your suggestion is what I have three now, but it doesn't give the functionality I want. That only allows me to specify the distance from the sketch plane up to the second face. It doesn't give me any way to specify a distance down from the selected face.

In my screenshot there, the 2" specified is from the plane up to the bottom of the extrude. I want to specify the actual length of the extrude (10" in the screenshot)
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Extrudes are measured from the sketch plane so you will have to create another sketch on the top face. You can use the "use" command in sketch to copy the entities from the first sketch. 
    I understand that they are measured from the sketch plane, and I understand the workaround. I was hoping the was a way to get the "Extrude From" functionality that I am used to from SW.

I thought maybe I was missing something since my Improvement Request was marked as Already Available, but it doesn't seem to be.

I guess I will settle for creating another plane. Is there a way to have the original request status changed though, since it isn't actually available as requested?
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Ask @lougallo or restate it? I understand the request - it was my original idea to have it in SolidWorks, but usage stats showed that not many people used it. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
     it was my original idea to have it in SolidWorks, but usage stats showed that not many people used it. 
    That's too bad, I love it! The benefit for me is to have the majority of my layout done on one or two sketches. If it is easy to implement I'd love to see it added in.