Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flat sheet metal part as a solid?

Hi,

Is it possible to convert the flattened sheet metal pattern into a new solid part? I've use the feature to create the net of a shape for a fan duct, and I want to be able to 3D print the result (at .6mm thick) and fold it up. However I'd like to add a couple off internal tabs for alignment which would be printed in place. I'd also like to be able to thin the bend lines to assist with the fold up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Steve

Best Answer

• Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Answer ✓
    Don' worry, this is being worked on. Stay tuned ;)
    Support & QA

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Yes please!

It would be nice if we had more access to the flat pattern, other than just inside the view port on the right.

That would also solve the problem of not being able to insert a flat pattern into an EXISTING drawing
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Answer ✓
    Support & QA
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is a bit different use case but very reasonable. I'd like to think we can get some functionality like this out of the view window, however, I can't see it very useful for sheet metal but there maybe there is machinery out there that use 3d files in flatten version. 

A workaround for now, if you have already done it, would be to create a drawing export with a flat pattern, export as a dxf, then re-import into your part studio and extrude. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    This is a bit different use case but very reasonable. I'd like to think we can get some functionality like this out of the view window, however, I can't see it very useful for sheet metal but there maybe there is machinery out there that use 3d files in flatten version. 

A workaround for now, if you have already done it, would be to create a drawing export with a flat pattern, export as a dxf, then re-import into your part studio and extrude. 
    we use the 3d geometry at my job; because 2d is vaulnurable to scale. By that i mean in mastercam they need to measure and double check the geometry is 1:1

yes, It is trivial to me too; BUT it happens..

Any opertunity to eliminate a potential for failure. I'm all for it.
  • steve_kingsleysteve_kingsley Member Posts: 2
    That's great news to hear it's coming! Thanks for the feedback. Onshape is an incredible piece of software and the pace of new features coupled with fantastic support is truly mind blowing. For a hobby designer and tinkerer like me to have free access to it is truely appreciated. Thanks!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2017
    @john_mcclary  are you going through Mastercam to get a dxf profile for laser cutter? Seem like an unwanted extra step to me however whatever it takes to guarantee a 1:1. Come to think of it the Trumpf TruTops laser package has a 3d (SpaceClaim) modeller built in so the would easily handle solids.

I am always confident of 1:1 when RMB and dxf export off the model, it's when the drawing sheet gets involved that the problems start. I am sure in the next few releases they will have a dxf export from the flat pattern. Maybe with a check box to include bend line and scale notation.   

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    No I'm saying we prefer parasolid when we use mastercam. 2D drawings suck
  • Yam_SYam_S Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Jason_S said:
    Hello

i'm also trying to export a flat pattern as X_T. my manufacturer (for his reasons) prefer it that way. 
    can it be done?
    couldn't find the answer else were.
    Thanks

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    @julian_juarez - no only DWG/DXF
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If we can have a global agreement that a certain percentage of cars will be electric by the year xxxx then we should be able to stamp out dxf's once and for all. o:)

O.S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    then we should be able to stamp out dxf's once and for all
    Yes Please!
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @julian_juarez
    Insert into assembly then export from there.

@steve_kingsley

Here is a feature that will fold a flat sheet metal part: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/46659/#Comment_46659

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Here is a copy that will allow you to select from the model as well as the flat
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ec05740ca8f236e5a24eceec
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100