Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Profiles library - beams

grzegorz_kondrackigrzegorz_kondracki Member, Developers Posts: 23 PRO
Hi,
To use the library of European steel profiles.
We are very happy with the fearutescripts beams - very good job.
We do a lot of frame, boom etc.
For example - boom

There are many different profiles in the library - sometimes all.
For example: beam INP, IPE, HEA, HEB, HEA, etc.
Various types of pipes and rods.
link onshape:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58d12b42203be30fcd005b4f/w/d8c0bef6f26d5604b06881b2/e/5fa60f80861479ec429cef9c

link Youtube
https://youtu.be/QN5jxFVtYCc

We will expand the library as we have free time and need to use the following profiles.
Profiles according to other regulations we can introduce but we need profile drawings and someone later has to check it and we are not running eg in inches.

Grzegorz (Greg) Kondracki

Comments

• barry_gibsonbarry_gibson Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    This is the kind of document onshape needed,to help other people to get the beam script up to speed, so well done Greg, a big pat on the back from me. thanks Barry
  • jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    Thank you Greg!  So great to see this nice use of FeatureScript.  And really nice to see your boom example.
    Thanks also to @NeilCooke for writing the FeatureScript beams tool.
  • grzegorz_kondrackigrzegorz_kondracki Member, Developers Posts: 23 PRO
    Thank you all!
    Hi All,
    I have some free time in the evenings and I can add them to the library.
    What profiles should I do?
    ANSI - what?
    I am waiting for suggestions.
  • Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Wow, Great work @grzegorz_kondracki. That is awesome!
    Support & QA
  • barry_gibsonbarry_gibson Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    You and your son should be very proud of that, as said it awesome. you as well Neil Cooke for creating the beam script.
    Thank you very much.
    We hope our customer will like it and order a crane - but it's still a long way to go.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Outstanding work sir.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • VierhoutVierhout Member Posts: 13 PRO
    edited June 2017
    Thanks a lot for this grzegorz_kondracki !! This will help me further with euro beam profiles! I am a professional user from the weldments @SolidWorks and frame generator @Inventor. I hope that Onshape improve the Beam profile function more better and professional in the near future. Thanks!

www.vierhoutengineering.nl
    Mechanical Structural Engineering
  • brian_pinder662brian_pinder662 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Hello, Is it possible to upload the steel beam library to my computor for use in onshape. Basically I was structural engineer and found the library in Inventor very helpful. Now converting to onshape I tend to miss this feature . Uploading is something I have not done before so I would very much appreciate any help on how to go about finding the library and uploading.
    Best regards Brian.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Hello, Is it possible to upload the steel beam library to my computor for use in onshape. Basically I was structural engineer and found the library in Inventor very helpful. Now converting to onshape I tend to miss this feature . Uploading is something I have not done before so I would very much appreciate any help on how to go about finding the library and uploading.
    Best regards Brian.
    You can use the Feature Script Beam Feature. If you open a feature script document like the Beam Feature you can add that to your Onshape Toolbar.

Here is the original beam feature link as written by @NeilCooke.  I think Neil has already added Grzegorz ISO profiles into as std. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e15c2c668d138f01242d0c80/v/f2c6e83e8fdc9123202f01d6/e/2d5660fc1012df9598f00251  

You can add your own profiles or find other public beam features with already created geometry. 

This feature script as done by @jackson_king has a good selection of ANSI profiles. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/661b4cdeb6c1518cd9c394e3/v/df3a4465168c3082b1aa8c41/e/d039d04cd820a37795a08d3a

Ideally, Onshape needs to come up with an integrated Beam/Weldment feature rather than the feature script workaround, with a more user-friendly method of creating and adding profile libraries. I also personally want an Australian and New Zealand Profile steel section library but keep putting off creating it in the hope we will see an integrated Beam/Weldment feature, however, this still could be a while off. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977