Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Model Based Definition

pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
It seems there is general interest from a lot of folks nowadays in Model Based Definition and Model Based Enterprise.  Are there any thoughts on implementation in Onshape?  This might figure into the drawing side of things that is now in progress...  I would suspect that MBD might factor in importantly in the future CAD products - especially as automotive and DOD contracts may be demanding information be exchanged in this manner.

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Let's do it,

Seems silly to use 2D abstractions to convey a design. Wish the world would hurry up.

It's probably all those autocad users slowing us down (just kidding).

• tomasz_domanskitomasz_domanski Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    MDB does make a lot of sens, probobly even more in OnShape with its great sharing possibilities, why creting 2D drawing if almost everyone from supplier to shopflor is using pc or tablet anyway, If shared 3d model have all model annotations, gd&t, notes on it drawing would be redundant. Any plans to do it in OnShape?
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    +1
    //rami
  • chris_winters404chris_winters404 Member Posts: 37 PRO
    The drawings will never be completely redundant, there will always be a need for the GD&T to be on a drawing with control frames for Quality, Inspection, and vendor communication. MBD would however speed up the drawing creation and open the door for better collaboration with multiple people working on a project together.
  • petr_svobodapetr_svoboda OS Professional Posts: 8 PRO
    @Onshape Any news/progres in MBD?
    I have got an email from competitor. I would love Autopair function when one part drives another....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MemUhiomttM
  • tom_macphailtom_macphail Member Posts: 11 PRO
    @Onshape any progress...? This is the way everything is going, with the 3d data being the master.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    This looks very interesting and I think extremely useful. While I have been at this long enough to have learned on a drafting board the drawings have always been a means to an end that included some problems. This would cut time significantly and have a much more up to date display of parts and assemblies.
  • sean_blanchardsean_blanchard Member, User Group Leader Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I would like to see some implementation of 3D Annotations as well as Model Base Definition. I'm not sure it this would be a feature incorporated in Onshape or a 3rd Party Application. But, regardless, I am excited to see when Onshape will implement this request.
    edited August 2019
    I think the only way to have usable MBD would be to implement into part studio / assembly workspace - first stab could just being able to show&move selected sketch dimensions and add annotations with arrows.

Next step would be to add dimension but I suppose they need to be read-only to still understand what drives the model..

I would immediately start using if I could show and move existing sketch dimension from multiple sketches.

Obviosly it would need to be view mode that can be set on/off.
    //rami
    //rami
  • petr_svobodapetr_svoboda OS Professional Posts: 8 PRO
    edited November 2019
    As you became part of PTC what is your plan with PMI, Model Based Definition(Enterprise)? What is your progress since 2015?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Progress: none. However, PTC have a lot of experience in this area so stay tuned. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭

NeilCooke said:
    Progress: none. 
    Oof. That stings a little bit. :D

I get it, though. Its not a priority and there are other things that should be higher priority. But it would still be really neat!

I'm hopeful, though. Out of all the major CAD players, I think Onshape's cloud model lays the best groundwork for actually making MBD work well, since the biggest advantage of drawings is their portability (PDFs and hardcopies).

Also - with increased use of additive manufacturing and CNC operations that work directly from the CAD models - it would be great to be able to embed revision/release/part number metadata within the CAD file. Seems like that could be a benefit of MBD and would be another way to chip away at the dominance of paper drawings.  
  • eric_vebereric_veber Member Posts: 5
    Any update?I think onshape could do a lot to accelerate the adoption of MBD. We are perpetually stuck in a chicken and egg situation where shops don't use it because designers don't use it because shops don't use it. We can start from the design side. If the gd&t defined in the model populates a detail drawing for a shop, might that be a good first step toward mass adoption of MBD. This has been in the ASME standards for over a decade now! It's a part of the ISO STEP standard too (perhaps I am preaching to the choir). Not to mention, it is prerequisite to high level tools like tolerance analysis.
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited January 2023
    Onshape team... @NeilCookeany updates here?
    We're thinking this is critical to our future success - this may be table stakes our org.
  • Julius_Saguinsin_81Julius_Saguinsin_81 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Any updates on MBD? We need this feature especially on our Design Review process.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Vote here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/3800/mbd-3d-annotations

I'm very curious to hear more from companies who have successfully used MBD with vendors outside of automotive or aerospace, or maybe medical. My experience is mostly in consumer products and medical. I've had so much trouble, even with fairly high end vendors in the US with even getting them to understand and inspect GD&T correctly. In theory, MBD and GD&T allows us to maximize the parts we can accept while making sure that the ones we do accept assemble correctly. Instead, machinists and manufacturing people mostly want things that they can measure with calipers and gages.