Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Dimensioning Problem

thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Drawings
Hello,

I encountered the following problem with a drawing: (see https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c4a43830ba766cc6ce0d27ed/w/09b56e4c8a752a62e2941390/e/fd9aab1d02deb8471bb68c57)
I have to pairs of holes which are on different sides of an object (in this case an L-profile) but are arranged symmetric to a common centerline. This is easy to construct in a Part Studio as these centerlines can be aligned on the corner and the distance for this line can be set from the baseline.

But when I want to make a drawing out of it:
  • I cannot direct draw a centerline between the holes. This can be faked by drawing two separate lines horizontal from both holes and attaching a centerline between those lines. And, this lines will not move if the underlying view is moved :-(
  • The distance of this faked centerline to the base of the object cannot be dimensioned at all !
Any help is appreciated - thanks
Thomas

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Hi Thomas, you are correct, this is not possible. You probably don't want to hear this, but you cannot physically measure an imaginary/inferred symmetry line, so best practice is to dimension all features from a hard edge.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • thomas_miglincithomas_miglinci Member Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
    Hi Neil,
    yes, I do not like the answer, although I do understand your explanation.
    Thanks
    Thomas
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Morning Gents.

I've not tried such things in drawings but in assemblies you can use dummy parts set to 100% transparency (or just hidden) to act as helper parts for locations / mate points etc.  Could you do something similar here?  If so that might retain the parametric nature of the dimensions.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd