Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to delete all dangling constraints?

james_mcpherson11762james_mcpherson11762 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
I'm trying to build some parts libraries from other cad formats. Since Onshape can't import .dxf's I'm importing the 3D models, creating a new sketch, then using the "Use/Project" feature to project the 2D curves onto the sketch. This works (although it is tedious, 2D import into a sketch should exist), however when I then suppress the no-longer needed 3D model, each and every line has a dangling constraint referencing the original 3D model. I end up with hundreds of dangling constraints that I'm currently deleting one at a time... this hurts.

Is there a better way?

-Jim

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I don't know of a way to delete all dangling sketch relations inside OS.

I do mess this dialog from SW and it's capabilities:

• Options
    larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Has this been resolved in any meaningful manner? I'm sketching 'in context' and the use constraints, which I no longer need after the sketch has been created from another sketch are everywhere. The next sketch will be based upon this new sketch, or another context, but the use constraints will be in the way for the next step. Deleting them one by one is tedious to say the least.

Would like to 'use' a previous sketch without the 'use' constraints. Any way to do so?

• Options
    RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    Has this been resolved in any meaningful manner? I'm sketching 'in context' and the use constraints, which I no longer need after the sketch has been created from another sketch are everywhere. The next sketch will be based upon this new sketch, or another context, but the use constraints will be in the way for the next step. Deleting them one by one is tedious to say the least.

Would like to 'use' a previous sketch without the 'use' constraints. Any way to do so?

Me too. 
  • Options
    Is there a "Delete all constraints from selected entities"?
  • Options
    RyanAvery said:
    Is there a "Delete all constraints from selected entities"?
    Nevermind, I found a way to remove all constraints from a sketch. You just select the lines / objects you care about, do ctrl + c to copy, then right click a plane and click "paste sketch" and it will be pasted without any of the constraints. 
  • Options
    rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    RyanAvery  nice one. Unfortunatly you have to constrain the pasted elements again.
    Alternatively see:https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/60364/#Comment_60364