Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Slack channel?

pbcpbc Member Posts: 10
Does one exist?

Best Answer

Answers

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @pbc. No, we currently don't have a public slack channel, although we are long-time, avid slack users internally at Onshape.

I'll bring this up with our support team.

Thanks
    -John 
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
     It might be a consideration for the future. What would you hope to get from that vs using our forum. The thing we want to avoid is making it too complicated to talk to the community. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • pbcpbc Member Posts: 10
    lougallo said:
     It might be a consideration for the future. What would you hope to get from that vs using our forum. The thing we want to avoid is making it too complicated to talk to the community. 
    Good question, well sometimes there are just basic questions that are easier to talk outloud about.  I'm thinking of Slack as how IRC used to be used, was more of an informal usergroup where a variety of questions can be answered (if other people are online and presumably also using Onshape).  I think most of this thread could have been done in a slack channel instead of on the forum (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7427/getting-a-control-sketch-ready-for-lofting#latest)
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, this forum is far more useful than a Slack channel.  Slack seems more useful for just idly chatting about general topics.  And please don't *ever* attempt to do support through a Facebook group!
  • pbcpbc Member Posts: 10
    Well the suggestion was definitely not meant as a replacement to the forums; just as an addition.  I suppose it doesn't even need to be sponsored by Onshape; i'm just of the opinion that an IRC/Slack solution for onshape users would be of benefit.

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I also like the forum, it might be 'old fashion' but it works with same login as cad and doesn't need additional apps. It's easy to use and doesn't need additional login or apps. It has decent tools for interacting and did I mention that it doesn't need additional apps nor login credentials.

I don't like to mix social media with work that doesn't need it. And I hate companies who have website just to promote their twitter-facebook-tinder-instagram-snapchat-slack-youtube-channels; then they assume that I wan't to own my life to follow them if I just need to ask a question or like to research some of their products.
    //rami