Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

FeatureTree Scroll Speed Too Fast

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
The scroll speed of the feature tree does not play by the rules.
I have my scroll speed set to (3) in windows settings.
OnShape (or the browser) appears to be trying to "help" us by increasing the scroll speed on larger trees.
After some quick experimenting the speed it comes up with is based on how tall the tree "view area" is. (I hope that makes sense)
The problem is whatever scroll speed it comes up with, windows then multiplies it by window's scroll speed setting.

In the example below you see the last feature is MD #Shingle Trim a.
One click of the scroll wheel down with the scroll speed set to 1 will scroll down the tree by 7 lines. (in Chrome)
When windows scroll is set to 3 it's scrolling 21 lines. (equivalent of page down, if page down actually worked in the feature tree)

So any scroll setting above 3 in this case will mean one click down with the wheel will scroll more lines than what is shown in the feature tree at any given time. So the only way to get to some features is to manually grab the scrollbar and drag.

The tree should follow the same rules as every other app, 1 click should equal 1 line of scrolling in the tree, then multiply by windows setting. A user will be expecting a scroll speed consistent with all the rest of your apps. Not based off the current height of the tree multiplied your expectation.

In firefox the tree behaves much differently. Each click will be about 1 line in this case until you bump up your setting in windows to be more extreme. When I bumped it up to 100 lines per click, firefox scrolled 21 lines. In order to get it to scroll the 3 lines at a time I had to set windows scroll speed to 12.

So I don't know if this problem is browser specific, or OnShape trying to help us scroll, and each browser interpreting it differently. But it is something that should be addressed.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @john_mcclary Each browser has different interpretations of what a mouse wheel event is and how it is implemented.  It also takes into account a platform specific multiplier so for example Chrome on Mac will not be the same as Chrome on Windows.  The browser only sees there is a wheel event and will try to do it's best to interpret it.  I have seen also a number of things implemented on many browsers in the extension and internals to bring "smooth scrolling" and other modifications to give users the feel they are after.

"Lines" are not all the same and in the OS looking at windows explorer vs the number of rows that might be in a list in the browser which can be set with CSS could be 3X based on the row height.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    I use chrome.....it's somewhere between ludicrous speed and plaid.
  • Options
    daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I totally agree with this comment.  On bigger models the scroll wheel on the feature tree is almost useless.   If there's any hacks available to fix this, it would be exceptional.  
  • Options
    Yea I just would like to know if it was totally browser based or not.  But no other website has this noticable of a problem with thier listviews. Which leads me to believe OnShape may have 'some' level of control burried in the ui code
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    I've seen this recently as well.
    Scrolling the feature tree in Chrome seems to advance about a page worth of lines with a single wheel click. Firefox is still one line per wheel click.

I'm not sure whether something in Onshape changed, or if something in Chrome happened to change at the same time, but Chrome used to work the same as Firefox (one line per wheel click) before the last Onshape update.
  • Options
    @robert_morris I thought the same thing, it feels like a recent problem.  But I have been off and on OS with smaller models for the last month so my memory of past scrolling habits are fuzzy. I just remember it not being too bad of a problem. But i think chrome always was a little faster. 

I tried just working out of firefox, but chrome has much more performance while modeling. So I'll take the lesser of two evils for now and stick with crome for now
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    @john_mcclary My thoughts as well on Chrome vs Firefox. I just end up dragging the scroll bar now instead of using the mouse wheel.

For Onshape developers, here is an example screen grab of what I am experiencing. As you can see, each wheel movement causes all of the visible feature items to scroll off the screen.

Interestingly, the Documents page still scrolls normally (1 to 2 items per wheel movement). It's only the Feature Tree that seems to be doing this.

• Options
    Right, grabbing the scrollbar is the only way right now. But that is a ux problem. Its such a thin target and for us keyboard shortcut thinkers. It is not as tangible as counting clicks on a mouse wheel. Or hitting the arrow keys or page down. To me point and click/drag should be the work around, not the norm ;p

Hell i don't even click the X to close a window.. just hold alt+f4 until the windows shut down message appears, hit enter and grab my coat and head home :p   as soon as you need to point to a pixel and click you lose a lot of mucle memory. for tte sake of the scrollbar, i'm probably color blind or something bit i find it hard to spot when it starts getting smaller. But maybe thats just me.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    We also need a search on the part list. I have import with 1300 parts and it's impossible to find a part by scrolling. By i know the number/name and just and to search. Even if the feature list search could find part names that would be great
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2017
    While I am it, I know this has been mentioned before but I really want to be able to drag groups of features around the feature tree. 1 by 1 can be painful, granted groups could be painful when you get it wrong too but it would be nice to have the option. 

I also find I go to grab the roll bar an instead grab a feature and move it up the tree causing errors, just thought it was worth mentioning
  • Options
    Yea @brucebartlett +10 to group feature move.
    You make the request I'll put in my vote
  • Options
    Yea @brucebartlett +10 to group feature move.
    You make the request I'll put in my vote
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6539/drag-several-features-of-feature-tree-at-time
  • Options
    Got it thanks
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @john_mcclary One of our devs found a way to force some more nature behaviors.. I will pull tickets for you.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    Thanks Lou!