Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

anybody know how to cut sweep this revolve along the path?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I've just learned out to do such a thing in solidworks so I wanted to see if it was easy to emulate in onShape. I haven't figured it out yet. Anybody know how to sweep cut a revolve along a path?
    Saplingstore.com
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    @McConnell113 Onshape currently handles only swept cuts from 2d sketches and regions. For your example, I don't there would be a geometric difference between the capability in Onshape and a swept cut of a body.
    @ pete. this would simulate say a chamfer that cant quite reach certain areas of a part while CNC machining, so it would round it off with a revolved body as the sweep.
    Saplingstore.com
    @McConnell113 Got it. Like @jramsley said. 2 extra operations to create the end effects.
    @jramsley could you provide any screenshots of this? that would be great help.
    Saplingstore.com
    edited April 2015
    @McConnell better yet... Invite someone into the design to add the feature. Use the collaboration features of Onshape. Then look at the resulting features added.
    I guess the only issue im really having is that I don't see how im suppose to convert my profile to a surface so that it actually deletes along the path, right now its just slicing through and leaving the material
    Saplingstore.com
    well i guess if i just shut my mouth and try for a bit I'd figure it out. @jramsley thanks for your initial suggestion this worked.

Saplingstore.com
    @McConnell better yet... Invite someone into the design to add the feature. Use the collaboration features of Onshape. Then look at the resulting features added.
    Omg I using solidworks I totally didn't even think of this. haha thats wonderful. I did find a really optimal way  to do what I wanted however. even though the revolve a separate part worked I learned that all i need to do is actually do the regular profile sweep then revolve cut the faces on both ends.
    Saplingstore.com