Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Hide dimensions in sketch

There is an option to hide constrains in sketch

It will be beutiful to have also "show/hide dimensions", becouse in complicated designs I have something like this:

It will also improve speed, becouse of less lines to render, and I think it is not very hard to implement this option.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited November 2017
    Wow that is a complicated sketch! Best practice is to keep sketches simple with a half dozen dimensions or so. You can then add extra sketches or features when needed. Using this method will make your designs easier to understand and edit and performance will be much improved. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    What does that look like without the dims? 
  • cargo_andreycargo_andrey Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Tony_C_ said:
    What does that look like without the dims? 

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2017
    I think you have way more dimensions than are actually required to fully define the sketch.

Most of that can be handled with constraints, I'd imagine.  I think there is a lot of duplication going on there.

OwS
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • cargo_andreycargo_andrey Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I think you have way more dimensions than are actually required to fully define the sketch.

Most of that can be handled with constraints, I'd imagine.  I think there is a lot of duplication going on there.

OwS
    Some optimization can be done: use constrains to avoid dimensions, but at the end it will not totaly solve the problem.
    Redusing a  half of dimensions will be good, but not enought, this why hide dimensions maybe one of the solutions.

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Agreed about constraints where possible vs dimensions. 

In addition, I think what @NeilCooke suggests is multiple sketches.  It helps to 'isolate' related features and greatly simplify sketches.  Separate sketches like layout, holes, slots, etc.  and/or sketches on features further down the tree.  Then hiding/showing is easy.

The dimensions only show during edit so I am not seeing the use case for hiding dimensions if the sketches are organized this way. 

www.accuratepattern.com
  • miguel_silva737miguel_silva737 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Show/Hide dimensions would be really good as it is very confusing to try to sketch with dimensions on the way. 
  • miguel_silva737miguel_silva737 Member Posts: 7 EDU
    it is bad even on a simple sketch for example when you are trying to pick a midpoint and have a dimension just in front of it.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @miguel_silva737

The dimension text is draggable.  Maybe you can drag it out of the way of the line you are trying to make a midpoint on?

Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I suppose that makes the rule, if you feel like dimension begins to get in your way - it's time for another sketch in same plane.

I don't see any use for hiding dimension in sketch, I would be confused if they were hiding when I enter in shared sketch. 
    //rami
  • morgin_blackmorgin_black Member Posts: 7
    i dont quite understand why people are against this, yes, there are other ways to do this. that's not what the question is. It will be beautiful to have also "show/hide dimensions",
  • Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Hiding dimensions is generally considered to be unnecessary since it's much better to break your design out into multiple sketches. Something I always tell students new to CAD is that they should really be focusing on creating a few, simple, easy to understand sketches; throwing everything into one sketch creates a huge mess which is impossible to troubleshoot and a pain to change or fix. If you feel the need to hide dimensions, your sketch is to complicated, and you should break it out into smaller, more manageable chunks.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Classic example of what NOT to do in a sketch; incorporating details of what are essentially other functional features. Keep sketches simple and focused on just one functional feature of the design. This holds true for all feature based modelers, not just OS.

There should be no reason to need a hide/show dimension capability in a sketch. However, what is needed is the capability to colorize sketch entity types. Dimensional constraints should be a different color than solid/construction lines. Furthermore, there needs to be a couple of more line styles, i.e. centerline and phantom. Ever try to sketch on top of a inserted image of a dark object or background? Very difficult to make out sketch geometry and dimensions. 

While I am at it. How about an option to display dimension nominals in different units from the workspace defined units, or even dual units. Also, make it obvious that a dimension references a design variable, or is driven by a part configuration.