Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Tangent Arc Query

kiarian_coohillkiarian_coohill Member Posts: 16 EDU
I'm on the 'Fundamentals 2: Sketching' tutorials, 05. Exercise: Intermediate Sketching.

Going step by step, as per the instruction, for the most efficient way of producing this sketch, I'm not having any joy with this part. I draw a line. I then select the 'tangent arc' command, click the tangent and the line, but my result is not the same as the tutorial, even though I've added the 'tangent' constraint. What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @kiarian_coohill

The line which I've circled is meant to be an arc, I think.

You should probably try redrawing it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,362
    Start the tangent arc from the line and end on the other arc.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    If you are still seeing this after trying the suggestions above, try to continue with the example. Sometimes adding additional dimensions/constraints, later on, will still give you the correct final profile. Some of the images in the training are grabbed at the end of modeling the designs.

You will notice that the training screenshot sketch is fully defined (the lines are all black) while your sketch seems to be undefined in some areas (blue lines). Perhaps you might have missed a dimension or constraint in previous steps?
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    @kiarian_coohill

The line which I've circled is meant to be an arc, I think.

You should probably try redrawing it.
    It is an arc. An arc with a very large radius. It's supposed to be a tangent arc though. That's what's confusing me.
  • Options
    Read my comment above ^^
  • Options
    I've redrawn it. Everything is fine, up until this same point in the exercise. See photos to illustrate what I mean.

• Options
    You have to manually add a tangent constraint at the other end. A tangent arc only adds tangency at the start. 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    You have to manually add a tangent constraint at the other end. A tangent arc only adds tangency at the start. 
    Ahh, I see. I selected the line, after doing the tangent arc, selected tangent constraint, then the line adjusted to suit. Thanks.