Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Entities selection priority

konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recently i notices that some of my FS and standart features suddenly started to only allow Entities of body type if the input field filter has this option among other entity types like faces. This is exactly not how it worked before, and i liked prevous behavior better. Was this intentional global change or it only with me?

Comments

• EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    This was intentional change that was introduced in an effort to improve the selection experience around the split feature.  However, there have been enough adversely affected features in other areas that we will be reverting to the old behavior in the next release.

In the meantime, you can use the "Select other" command to select individual entities.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Evan said:
    This was intentional change that was introduced in an effort to improve the selection experience around the split feature.  However, there have been enough adversely affected features in other areas that we will be reverting to the old behavior in the next release.

In the meantime, you can use the "Select other" command to select individual entities.
    When will the next release come?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @mbartlett21

Releases come approximately every three weeks.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    @Jake_Rosenfeld

That will mean I can remove some selection boxes in my feature here.
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    That seems to affect also picking an edge in loft (when lofting surfaces)... akward
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it works so for all bodies - solid, sheet or wire. entities of body type got the highest priority. possibly priority control could be based on filter order and thus it could be adjusted transparently for each feature, instead of this hidden magic
    Now you need to be a jedi to make Onshape work.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    michał_1 said:
    Now you need to be a jedi to make Onshape work.
    Pick body or do not pick body. There is no edge.
    it works so for all bodies - solid, sheet or wire. entities of body type got the highest priority. possibly priority control could be based on filter order and thus it could be adjusted transparently for each feature, instead of this hidden magic
    This should probably be configured in a UIHint:

what i think the code should look like:

annotation { "Name" : "Example Query", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE && EntityType.BODY, "UIHint" : "PRIORITY_USING_FILTER" }
    definition.exampleQuery is Query;

IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    @mbartlett21 We agree.

For the upcoming release, we are simply reverting back to the old behavior for all custom features, so the issues described here will be fixed. However, if/when we want FS writers to control this, we'll use an explicit UIHint rather than implicitly encoding the priority via filter order.

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    This should be fixed now :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team