Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

BOLT AND SLOT MATE

Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
I am needing help mating parts in an assembly I am working on that uses a diamond u-bolt and a bracket that has two slots.  I am wanting to know the best way to mate the u-bolt into the bracket.  I have only spent a small amount of time working on mates in Onshape, so this is difficult for me.  I am also a new Onshape user coming from a SolidWorks background of 10 years.  I would have designed the bracket differently to make the slot concentric of the u-bolt, but the customer already had this designed.

Here is a link to my assembly that I am trying to mate.  

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ae472d6c4b26fb566658f21d/w/4f39a9d925509bd51b030b41/e/719062bb0280b59b9119dbc8

Thanks,
Logan

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,902 PRO
    I find when you have odd things like this, it is best to create a mate connector in the part studio.

Then set the mate connector to the center of one of the slot radius.
    Then set the owner part to the bolt.

Now when you go into your assembly, all you need to do is mate the connector that is attached to the bolt, to the same radius in every slot you come across.

If this is a one time only thing and both parts are drawn together (as in your example) then the best way would be to insert them together, then use a group mate

• Options
    Also consider adding your vote to slot mate improvement request:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7863/new-mate-slot-mate#latest
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes please vote on this improvement, I regularly have slotted holes I want to mate a bolt into the center of and find it frustrating having to do the extra mate connector step. 

Normally I mate to one end of the slot then edit the mate connector related to the slot to with a move on the x -(slot length/2).  However, I don't like having a non-para-metric slot length in the move, if it was really important I'd add a mate connector in the part studio.  

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @brucebartlett
    Yea I try to avoid editing and creating offsets within a mate like the plague.

Although it is fine for very small assemblies where there are only a hand full of mates. It is just not parametric enough for me.
    Hell I don't even use distance mates in Solidworks for the same reason.
    If I grow that slot I will still be in the part studio and can make the adjustment at the part level once. Whereas if i change the slot and need to re-center the bolt in the assembly through edits. I would need to go through every mate that I can "visually" notice is off and edit them all one at a time. (I get chills thinking about it)

Gee I'd sure  love a slot mate :)
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @malay_kumar are there any plans for a slot mate? as you can see from this post the issues @john_mcclary, the OP and I are having but with more thought it goes beyond just slots to sort of parts that need to be mated into the centre of a pocket maybe the best solution is  a way to hover on any pocket on in a flat face and have an auto-creating a mate connector at the centroid the same as we would get with a face. 
  • Options
    If you do it like Solidworks, then it can free float inside the slot, or be locked to center. 
    Huge advantage when they came out with that. although theirs is buggy and will break often (such is the life of a solidworks user though)
  • Options
    @john_mcclary the more I think about it what I really want is just to hover in a pocket and get an auto MC in the center, then I can use a slider mate to create float if need be but 95% of the time it will not be needed.  This would also help with those come to Onshape from other CAD and having to learn the whole Mate Connector method. 
  • Options
    problem I have with slide mates is it will still require distance and direction hand edited at the assembly level.

almost all of my parts usually have double slots, so there is almost never a good place to mate a bolt without creating secondary mate connectors in the studio.

multiply this by 1000 per job, and you see why fewer inputs are better.

I would use pin-slot mate but it never seems to be in the direction I need, and it still requires maintenance and setup time.

With Solidworks slot mate it is just click the inside face of slot 1, click the inside face of slot 2. and you can leave it at that, or go in and say center in slot (I wish center in slot was default...)

Most of what we do is double slotted sheet-metal, because we own a laser table, and we outsource crappy benders.
    so slots are free to make, and they take up the +/- .125" that we get from our benders.

With the current system I really don't bother with fasteners much, because of the mating issue mostly. So I've been doing it the old fashioned way on pen and paper, then entering it all in the BOM. Still have to measure every depth throughout the model anyways. It would be faster to just add the fastener there..
  • Options
    Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I seem to have stumbled on a necessary update to the mate connector arsenal.  I have really enjoyed Onshape and its usability so far, but need to spend more time in assemblies to really fine tune my mate connector skills.  I will be upvoting the slot mate.
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    @malay_kumar are there any plans for a slot mate? as you can see from this post the issues @john_mcclary, the OP and I are having but with more thought it goes beyond just slots to sort of parts that need to be mated into the centre of a pocket maybe the best solution is  a way to hover on any pocket on in a flat face and have an auto-creating a mate connector at the centroid the same as we would get with a face. 
    Adding more kinds of mate connector definition and mates are in plans. Adding an auto mate connector at the center of slot should be easy and will allow to lock at the center. For defining degree of freedom along slot, Pin slot should work in single slot case. But to really constrain correctly with correct limits we would need to be recognizing slots and and have special slot mates. Limits are expensive though. How often do you guys need to just lock at the center vs have motion along slots vs have motion along slots with limits? Do you guys mostly use sketch slot tool to create slots? 

For now creating a mate connector in part studio is the best.
  • Options
    98% of the time I'm designing to the center of a slot

50% of that is the center of cross slots

Because I don't "need" limits in slots very often, I can be happy with center only.

Now you would be my hero, and I'll buy you a beer if you can make it work tangent to a cylinder ;p
    But we all know that isn't feasible :)
  • Options
    @malay_kumar 95% of the time I'd want to mate to the center of the slot. 
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Thanks @brucebartlett and @john_mcclary for confirming this.
  • Options
    dan_aberledan_aberle Member Posts: 2
    It would really be nice if the Pin-Slot mate limits were parametric based on the length of the slot, rather than a manual input.  If the limit were instead tangent to the end of the slot, any update to the slot length at the part studio level would update in the assembly.  A pie-in-the sky Pin-Slot mate would allow the pin to mate tangentially to both edges of the slot, representing real-world pin travel, as good design practice sizes the pin diameter smaller than the slot width.  The current Pin-Slot mate is concentric on one end of the slot, which introduces a small error of half of the clearance distance.