Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Echap to deselect

Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi, 

I have a big problem since my begining in Onshape : there is no deselect tool (or I didn't find it).
Each left click on an item add (or remove) it from your selection but in order to let go of all the item you've selected, you have to click in an empty space. The problem is that sometimes (often) the empty space is very far (particularly when you zoom on a component) and it's not easy to abandon a selection. 
I'd like a simple way to clear the selection : for example the Echap key. 

Thank you !

Tagged:

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hit the space-bar  :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    @Ornella_Tortorici, just in case you didn't see it there is a keyboard shortcuts map under the help icon

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Thank you ! 
    I should look at this map more often ! 
    You're welcome.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited April 2018
     :)  :)

Close, I'm going to put a strip of tape across the top of my monitor to cover up the icons and force me to take the time to learn the shortcuts properly.

In all seriousness it would be nice if one of the learning centre exercises hid the icons and nudged the user to take advantage of the shortcuts.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @owen_sparks

Customize your toolbar and remove extrude, sketch, fillet, and mate connector.
    That will make you learn all your shortcuts for the normal part studio environment. :smile:

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @owen_sparks

Customize your toolbar and remove extrude, sketch, fillet, and mate connector.
    That will make you learn all your shortcuts for the normal part studio environment. :smile:

That's exactly what I was going to say
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @brucebartlett

I would really like to have a keyboard shortcut to custom features.

I use my own "Sheet Metal Model" feature that allows for bend allowance and would really like a shortcut for that.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    @variousbartletts Thanks chaps, that's a great suggestion.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited May 2018
    Just started to learn the KB shortcuts properly, my word, should have done this from the beginning, it's so much easier.

Note to lurkers, if you're reading this and not using shortcuts then give them a try :)

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to customize your toolbar and remove extrude, sketch, fillet... ;-)

Even you don't need to memorize the 
    KB shortcuts... when you are going to select a toolbar icon just wait a second to see the tooltip with the shortcut

Once you do that 100 times, you will no longer need to wait to see the tooltip ;-)

Another great tool for u
    sers who work several hours a day in Onshape is to get a mouse with configurable buttons, or even a 3D mouse
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFoJ-dJ7ho

Actually, I have to update the configuration of my 3Dconnexion Spacepilot and CadMouse because with the latest driver updates now the radial menus can have no 4 but 8 options ;-)

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    You don't need to customize your toolbar and remove extrude, sketch, fillet... ;-)

Even you don't need to memorize the KB shortcuts... when you are going to select a toolbar icon just wait a second to see the tooltip with the shortcut

Once you do that 100 times, you will no longer need to wait to see the tooltip ;-)

My learning process was massively boosted when I found the tooltips you describe, I would recommend them. As you say the information sticks after a while.
  • chris_hoychris_hoy Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Hit the space-bar  :)
    WOW!  Thank you.  I've been struggling with this.  I knew it had to be here - somewhere.  And thanks for the shortcuts menu, I hadn't seen that either.