Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Story of a threaded hole

bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
So, about 18 months ago I start a huge project.  One of the first parts had 6, 6mm threaded holes.  So, enjoying the functionality of Onshape, I sketched the part with points where I want the holes.  Then using the Hole Tool, I selected a 6mm threaded hole - but stupidly fail to notice the default is 6 x .75mm.  (6mm screws use a 1mm pitch as standard.)  Time passes and the actual part is made with a 0.75mm thread pitch whereupon someone notices that 6 x 0.75mm screws are not available.  Panic ensues until screws are found in Europe at exorbitant prices. I get irate phone calls.

The #1 problem is that I failed to notice of the default setting but a contributing issue is a default with an unobtainable thread size.  PLEASE set default thread pitch to standard values.

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is very important to be gotten right. I have trouble remembering default pitches and would like to think I could rely the on the Onshape hole tool to automatically go the default but maybe not. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

I've just checked and mine does default to M6 x 1mm.

Upon further fiddling and after setting it to M6 x 0.75 it remembered that setting next time I used the tool in a new feature. 

Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Might be also common problem with dropdown menus in browser, it can easily happen that you meant to zoom or scroll the whole page but browser actually scrolls between dropdown choices..

For me this happened many times in web-bank, I wanted to scroll down after selecting the account where to pay and actually before scrolling the page it scrolled another account into selection..   :s
    //rami
  • Bill_MartinBill_Martin Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Pete Yodis at Onshape opened a "bug" on this very topic for me--defaulting to common thread pitch vs diameter.  Exact same issue for me--each time a new fastener diameter is selected for the first time, it will default to the finest pitch in their list!  I too had cut metal incorrectly this way.

My ticket #138310 is still open from a few weeks ago but I noticed he had attached a "high" priority to it.