Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

export

walter_randolphwalter_randolph Member Posts: 11
I can't seem to find any way to export a file on the mobile platform ( android), either to print a document or to download to a file so it can be used to generate g code for cnc etc. Perhaps this isn't supported yet or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Best Answer

Answers

• da_prop_makerda_prop_maker Member Posts: 4
    so if I understand this correctly, an part I design in OnShape, can't be exported as an .STL or anything like that?
  • james_dalessandro195james_dalessandro195 Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 7
    @da_prop_maker - You're only unable to export from the mobile application of Onshape. You can export in various formats including .STL from web browser.
  • InPrintInPrint Member Posts: 2
    Would also like to be able to do this.

• ofir_tiroshofir_tirosh Member Posts: 2
    It's possible with a mobile web browser app (use the 'request desktop site' option)
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Exporting is very much a needed feature in my opinion also.  It is very limited now but, since most use an IOS device when away from the computer, being able to export something to someone is very much necessary.  It is a basic function of most apps on IOS devices. It is not on Onshape.  
    I was hoping to use the 'request desktop site' option but it is not possible.   

• InPrintInPrint Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    this is fixed now,  onshape should have written it here as well. I got it as reply to one support ticket and checked it.
  • michael_176michael_176 Member Posts: 2 PRO
    It is still not fixed in the iOS app. Although the help doc shows that it should be available! 
    Please OnShape add this very needed feature.
    Btw. Using version 1.71.8642 from nov. 10th 2017InPrint schrieb:
    this is fixed now,  onshape should have written it here as well. I got it as reply to one support ticket and checked it.

There is always need to export a PDF or markup a document when mobile with the IPad or iPhone,  but Onshape does not let you do this. 
    Using the iPhone or IPad in the last year, I've found to be nothing but frustrating and a waste of time.  It is at best, it is used as a tool to view something and spin it around.  

Why can't we do what all other productivity application do and print, export or save a PDF?  Why must we turn into marketing tools for Onshape and force people to signup, login, teach them how to find a document, export and print it?     Instead of showing off Onshape I hide it.  Someone asks me to make a change in a meeting and I have to do a screen capture to use a third party app to make a note.    "Can you send me a copy of that?" "No, let me go to the car and get my computer" or "Let me do it when I get back to the office" is just not acceptable anymore.   Seriously Onshape, please fix this already!!! 

No, I do not want to leave feedback on this, its been said for the past two years. 
  • SkippySkippy Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    export is desperately needed!
    NeilCooke said:
    Not supported - all exporting and printing is from web browser only. Please use the feedback tool to request any enhancements, thanks.

The help section says we can now export from mobile but I don’t see the option in iOS. Is this an Android only feature? Thanks.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Yes, currently this is an Android only feature. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    It is not possible to export anything from the mobile app.  Other platforms now offer this so hopefully Onshape will catch-up and realize how important it is.  The common response has been to request the feature or vote on it.  Not sure why it's not the highest of priorities but perhaps that is what it takes??   We take a screen capture and in notes, sketch on it but it's not professional and really embarrassing to have to do it this way. The other is to share the document but you will end up having to explain to people how to use Onshape to view a PDF.   We use it now just to view things but found it easier on a PC to just export everything and use a third party app to view it. Same with parts and assemblies. Export them to STEP files and use third-party apps to view them for now. Hope this helps. 
    NeilCooke said:
    Yes, currently this is an Android only feature. 
    Thank you for the quick reply. Hopefully this is a feature you can extend across to iOS soon. 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @skippy you never have to wait too long...
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I need to be able export dxf's from iOS, I don't think this is available yet but would be really handy to be able to make a change via phone app and send supplier/vendor new dxf's for cutting. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • nick_coppinsnick_coppins Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    +1 for this, essential when on the road and just need to make a few changes and send to a supplier etc 
    Thank you for adding export to iOS, it’s going to be a massive help 
    Just noticed iOS App was updated. 
    Exporting is very slow and device wants to sleep while loading.  Hopefully that will improve.
    I'm surprised there is STILL no export for drawings.  ????!!!!