Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Accepting dimensions

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think (given the emphasis on lightweight hardware) a low mileage, non-keyboard alternative to "Enter" is essential, to accept a dimension and close the input box. Ideally something really easy, like a double-click in white space.

RMB "Escape dimension" (at 'pole position', where it belongs) currently is a slightly higher-mileage way of achieving this for a newly entered dimension, but presumably due to an oversight, it's not an option when editing an existing dimension

In this new context, the same RMB option changes to "Exit sketch", and there is no RMB option for accepting the edit.

TWO COMMENTS:
1) I think the same RMB option should be available, in the same place on the list, in both scenarios
2) I think the name should be changed to "Enter Dimension". *

*I think it's a great idea that OnS currently uses "Escape Centre Rectangle" and suchlike, to stop using a sketch tool, because "Escape" is the correct shortcut key to that scenario, but when you use the Escape key when entering or editing a dimension, OnS does not accept it.
It has to be the Enter key.

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I was thinking why I don't remember to have this issue, my solution:

For you @Andrew_Troup I chose this picture to match colors with Ons, you just need work with the logos to make it perfect.  ;)

//rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad  Thanks fairly much.  I've actually got several of those (somewhere!), but I personally prefer solving problems by subtraction (ie removing the cause, by streamlining the UI) where possible, rather than by addition (of further equipment) 

what's more, I like the notion of being to wake up, like Keith Richards, in the middle of the night, grab my Chromebook, and capture a mechanism spotted in a dream...
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Andrew_Troup ESC leaves the dimensions as it was prior to entering a change... Escaping the function.  Are you suggesting that when you are editing a dimension that ENTER and ESC do the same function?  I understand an OK/CANCEL in the context menu suggestion... I can add you to the request.  
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    edited April 2015
    Lou  (ON EDIT: please read my next post before this one :) )

It seems to me that when using the mouse to confirm a dimension input,  it should not work differently when the dimension is newly created, vs being edited. 

In the former case, the RMB "Escape dimension" currently works as a substitute for the "Enter" key, and accepts the input
    In the latter case, there is no appropriate RMB menu pick

So it seems to me the RMB pick to accept the dimension is misleadingly named in the first instance, and missing in the second. 

Alternatively, that the "Escape dimension" RMB is not working as intended (but please, if you fix this, add a painless way of accepting dimension input with the RMB)
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I agree with Andrew, everything in general should have exactly the same dialog and workflow and RMB menus when editing compared to creating a new instance.
    //rami
    OK, I understand better now: there are two phases in entering a new dimension.

In the first phase, the user has not yet started typing in a size, and "Escape Dimension" works as I would expect.
    Once the user starts entering a size,  while it still escapes from the tool, it DOES accept the dimension.

So it's only accidentally equivalent to "Enter", in this specific scenario.
    The key thing you are telling me is that it reverts to the cursor being a selection tool, rather than a dimensioning tool. Now I understand that.

So my request would be for a second RMB menu pick when a dimension value has been entered or edited, immediately above or below "Escape Dimension", called perhaps "Accept dimension"