Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you dimension a diameter on a line?!

kiarian_coohillkiarian_coohill Member Posts: 16 EDU
Fundamentals 3 - Exercise: Coffee Cup
Fallen at the first hurdle here. I can't figure out how to dimension this 125 diameter. It's a line. How do I go beyond the line to change the dim to a diameter?
I've read the hint, and I still haven't figured it out.

Comments

• kiarian_coohillkiarian_coohill Member Posts: 16 EDU
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Place the dimension text on the other side of the centreline as shown in the picture. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited January 2018
    NeilCooke said:
    Place the dimension text on the other side of the centreline as shown in the picture. 
    Got it. 'To the vertex indicated' threw me. Started to think was it the blue vertex, seeing as all the other vertices were black.
    OK. Can you tell me what's going on here? Why the slanted dimension line?

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Double check if your centerline is vertical. Hit show constraints in the dialog and check for the vertical constraint. I think the dimension is slanting to follow the line angle. I cant see what else it would be following.
    I just redrew it in the end. Both lines were horizontal.
  • calvin_georgecalvin_george Member Posts: 3

I am new to CAD and I am stuck! I cant figure out how to get the diameter on the mug, I've managed to do this one the wheel exercise but cant figure out how to do it again.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @calvin_george

See the "centerline dimension" section of this page:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-dimension.htm

To do this type of dimension, you'll first want to click the dimension tool, then click the point you want to dimension, then click the centerline, then move your mouse across to the other side of the centerline, then click one last time to place it.  The key here is to move your mouse across the centerline after selecting both the entity to dimension and the construction line you want to use as a centerline.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657

I am new to CAD and I am stuck! I cant figure out how to get the diameter on the mug, I've managed to do this one the wheel exercise but cant figure out how to do it again.

Hi calvin_george,

The trick to getting the diametric dimension is to select the construction line first, then the point you wan to be the diameter, and then to place the dimension on the opposite side of the construction line.

1. With the dimension command active, select the construction line

2. Select the outer point on the cup.  This will start doing a horizontal point-to-line dimension.  But don't place it yet.

3. Before placing it, move your cursor to the other side of the construction line.  This will give a diametric constraint.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Awesome, got it. Thanks!
    @jakeramsley have another question. i cant seem to remove inside of the cup without removing all of it, please see screenshot and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you in advance

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @calvin_george

The selection you are using for the revolve is the entirety of "Sketch 1".  You should de-select the whole sketch (space bar or clicking the x next to that selection), and instead select just the inner area by clicking on it.
  • andrew_southenandrew_southen Member Posts: 11
    I'm slowly working my way through the tutorials, & rather than start another thread, thought I'd add to this one. The issue that I'm having is with the handle elipse sweep. I've generated the reference plane sketched the elipse on it, I can select the path, but not the face/shape to sweep. Here's a link to the document, if I've managed to get that right. It would be great if someone could point out where I'm going wrong. :blush:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2fd59cfa1a9ef6641bca419b/w/b8bb2469ab8472de9183e16f/e/56205343ab57480d4f0149e1
    I had a similar issue with the bottom dia dimensioning, I could get the top to work, ended up adding another small construction line at the bottom to get the dia dimensioning to work there. 
    I'm slowly working my way through the tutorials, & rather than start another thread, thought I'd add to this one. The issue that I'm having is with the handle elipse sweep. I've generated the reference plane sketched the elipse on it, I can select the path, but not the face/shape to sweep. Here's a link to the document, if I've managed to get that right. It would be great if someone could point out where I'm going wrong. :blush:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2fd59cfa1a9ef6641bca419b/w/b8bb2469ab8472de9183e16f/e/56205343ab57480d4f0149e1
    I had a similar issue with the bottom dia dimensioning, I could get the top to work, ended up adding another small construction line at the bottom to get the dia dimensioning to work there. 
    Sigh. Solved. Redrew it from scratch, same result. Couldn't select the elipse profile. Turns out you have to select it from the features list, not click on it in the scene. Any idea how many hours it took me to figure that one out?  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1d9c09963a6963df98f2366c/w/24db867fedfc85f360317ca0/e/b1b1fa4614fe4fb8ce96b670

@andrew_southen you may have been trying to pick the edge of the ellipse. To sweep (or extrude etc.) a solid you have to pick the shaded face of the ellipse (or pick it from the feature list if there is only one profile in your sketch). Picking a profile edge is for sweeping a surface not a solid.
    NeilCooke said:
    @andrew_southen you may have been trying to pick the edge of the ellipse. To sweep (or extrude etc.) a solid you have to pick the shaded face of the ellipse (or pick it from the feature list if there is only one profile in your sketch). Picking a profile edge is for sweeping a surface not a solid.
    Right. How do you pick the elipse face? From the scene in the sweep mode? I couldn't manage to pick anything from memory. The edge would highlight in standard 3D viewing, but as soon as I went into the sweep dialogue, I couldn't seem to select it. Sorry for the newbie questions

@andrew_southen

Make sure you are in "Solid" mode, and make sure that the "Faces and regions to sweep" box is the currently selected box.

If you are in "Surface" mode, it will only allow you to select edges, because edges are swept into surfaces.  If you are in "Solid" mode is will only allow you to select faces, because faces are swept into solids.

Then click on "Sweep path" and select your path.

Hope this helps!
  • merim_maglicmerim_maglic Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone,

I am an old Onshape user so this option is not unknown to me, but,
    Does anyone else instead of me, have trouble with diameter measuring in the past few weeks.

The dimension just doesn't show the diameter when I move my mouse to the other side of the centerline, which is really annoying...

Is there any Problem with Onshape update, or do I miss some OpenGL update or something else???

Please help.

Thanks and best regards
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    are you using a construction line for centerline?  that threw me at first...
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Of course I use the construction line.

About a month ago I had that problem the first time, but the next day everything was OK.
    But a few days ago I had that problem again, so that's the reason I posted this.
    Today it works fine again...So what to say.
    A problem definitely exist. It is impossible that only I have the problem periodically with it 

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that sometimes when trying to place the dimension, I'll accidently grab the wrong thing when trying to select the center line. Sometimes, I'll click on an end-point of the centerline instead of the line itself, in which case the diameter dimension doesn't show up. This always throws me for a second. 
    OK guys,

Thaks for trying to help, but to be hones, your answers are for noobs.
    I was not asking how to measure the diameter, I was telling that there is a problem with Onshape.

I am using Onshape more than 3 years, and I've drawn tons of drawings... I never had this problem till now.
    The problem I had was not my drawing skill problem. It was an Onshape bug, or driver problem, or maybe my Computer problem.

Anyway I hope that Onshape creators have, or will, solve this problem !

Best regards
    Merim Maglić

Never seen it before - @merim_maglic can you please create a video when it happens next?
  • tom_griffin116tom_griffin116 Member Posts: 2
    @NeilCooke I was just struggling with this for a while and experienced the same thing, however I refreshed the page and now it works as expected. If I see this again I will capture a video of it and submit but I agree with Merim that this is a bug.
  • kesorkesor Member Posts: 2
    Why doesn't this work with the origin, or with a plane, and it only works with lines? :/