Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 12th, 2018

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited July 2018 in New in Onshape
We've got an exciting update for you. It includes many highly requested drawing improvements, and a number of core CAD improvements. Let's dig in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

DRAWING PROPERTIES PANEL

You'll find a new Drawing Properties panel icon on the right-hand side of your drawing in Onshape Drawings. This replaces the wrench icon previously in the toolbar and includes a number of new features.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/s65hndwkcr

ADJUST LINE THICKNESS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

The line thickness of drawings in Onshape can now be adjusted. Under the "Views" tab in the Drawing Properties panel you will see options to define thickness for visible edges, tangent edges, hidden edges, and hatches.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/964xyewx5q

COLORS IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now change the colors of various pieces of your Onshape Drawings. In the new Drawing Properties panel you will see options to change the color of dimesions, annotations, views, construction geometry, and formats.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/3l7b8x99kt

MIN/MAX DIMENSION TO ARCS AND CIRCLES IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now drag the dimension grip point to the min or max point on any arc or circle in Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/v2zwq9x9xw

EXPORT SPLINE DATA INTO DXF/DWG AS SPLINES AND NOT POLYLINES

By default, when you export a sheet metal flat view or drawing with splines as DXF or DWG it will now export with splines as opposed to polylines. This is especially important for those that need to import the DXF or DWG into CAM software for toolpath generation. There is also now an option to export splines as polylines if you prefer the old behavior.

REORDER MATES, MATE CONNECTORS, AND GROUPS

You can now reorder mates, mate connectors, and groups in the instance list of the assembly.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zgd8ahnw1s

NEW DIN STANDARD IN STANDARD CONTENT

A new standard has been added to Standard Content with this update. You'll find a number of new DIN screws and bolts when inserting Standard Content.

IMPORT INVENTOR ASSEMBLIES

You can now import Inventor assemblies directly into Onshape. The assembly must be packaged with all the parts in a zip file and uploaded to a Document. The zip file name must match the top-level assembly name.

IMPORT CATIA ASSEMBLIES

You can now import CATIA assemblies directly into Onshape. The assembly must be packaged with all the parts in a zip file and uploaded to a Document. The zip file name must match the top-level assembly name.

PROFESSIONAL FEATURES

SET PARTS TO "NOT REVISION MANAGED"

You can now set parts in your Part Studio to "Not revision managed." This means these parts will be ignored when creating a release. In the past, this was limited to assemblies.

PART NUMBERING IMPROVEMENTS

A new "Part number uniqueness" option has been added to the Release Management settings for company admins. This new option allows drawings to reuse the part number from a part or assembly. This was not possible in the past.

RESTRICT WHO CAN APPROVE RELEASES

You'll find a new Release Management  option as an admin or owner of a company that allows you to restrict who can approve releases in Onshape. This allows you to define who in your company should be allowed to approve.

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

LIGHT USERS IN ONSHAPE ENTERPRISE

You can now define light users when adding users to your Enterprise in Onshape. Light users can view, comment, and export data if they have been given those permissions. This is especially important for allowing non-cad users to view data in the Enterprise.

CLONE PROJECTS

You can now clone existing projects in Onshape Enterprise. This makes it easy to create a new project with the same permission scheme, settings, users, and roles as a previous project. You will find this new option when right-clicking a project from the Documents page.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Beautiful updates to drawings, Thank you!
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Really helpful updates! 
    👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Nice update Onshape team!

Any more info on these performance enhancements specifically listed in this release?

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited July 2018
    My favorites:
    - Dimension color and Line thick in drawings,
    now we actually know what is dimension line and what is part of design. It's easier to make the actual part stand out from gazillion dimensions around it.

- That min-max dimension by drag is great innovation, might be a bit hard to find first time but perfect solution as it doesn't interfere with common way to always snap center of hole even when selecting zoomed out but still being able to dimension what ever when needed :+1:

- Reordering mates in assy. Many times I've been trying to drag them and now you made it possible. It's important to be able to make assemblies easy to handle and simple&clear to come back after a period of time and still be able to manipulate movement etc.

Thanks!!

ps. You make me wish more and more to have an larger scale enterprise, light users and project cloning sounds awesome! 
    //rami
  • svenolov_nystromsvenolov_nystrom OS Professional Posts: 63 PRO
    Same drawing number as part number nice. 
  • Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Nice that we can move mates around, but the instance tree would be even better if it had a search function. 
    So how do I set my line thickness to inches? 

I have no clue how thick a .15 mm line is.
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Great improvements again!

My favorites:
    - Support for Inventor assembly import, OH YEAH!
    - Ability to reorder mates and mate connectors in Assemblies is a good 1st step in assembly tree reorganization.
    - Drawings property panel
    - Improved performance is always welcome!
    - Support min/max arc snap dimensioning in Drawings

Keep going guys!
    Tony_C_ said:

.15mm / 25.4 = .006"
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    Tony_C_ said:

@Tony_C_

For now you will need to convert.

.15mm * .03937 = .0059 inches
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited July 2018
    If the penny hasn’t dropped - you can now set up a drawing with color, line thicknesses and leading/trailing zero’s etc, and then export it as a template for all future drawings!!! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • timothy_andersontimothy_anderson Member Posts: 1
    Awesome, especially the ability to move to fractional so easily, my client was really hoping for that.  Any chance we can get some of the dimension functions to work in the same way as sketches, specifically arc length?
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for another update! So many things I wanted in a drawing and didn't even know it! REALLY like allowing the drawing to be the same number as the part/assembly. I'm also going to enjoy the reordering of the mates (I like tidy CAD).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 PRO
    Awesome drawing improvements, all of them are excellent. 
    Has something changed in the drawing having to do with what is or is not shown on the drawing when something is hidden in the assembly?

I'm pretty sure in the past the only way something to NOT be shown in the drawing was to suppress it in the assembly. 

Now it seems that just having something hidden makes it not appear in the drawing.

When did this happen? 
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Tony_C_ said:
    Has something changed in the drawing having to do with what is or is not shown on the drawing when something is hidden in the assembly?

I'm pretty sure in the past the only way something to NOT be shown in the drawing was to suppress it in the assembly. 

Now it seems that just having something hidden makes it not appear in the drawing.

When did this happen? 
    Hi Tony_C,

Well I guess the cat is out of the bag that this is something we are working on, but unfortunately it was accidentally enabled and not yet ready and should be (correctly) disabled at this point.  We understand that it is important to be able to have things hidden or shown in a drawing and are working towards a solution we think our customers will like.  When it is released, it will be included in the what's new post similar to the new stuff announced here.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
    Tony_C_ said:

When did this happen? 
    Hi Tony_C,

Well I guess the cat is out of the bag that this is something we are working on, but unfortunately it was accidentally enabled and not yet ready and should be (correctly) disabled at this point.  We understand that it is important to be able to have things hidden or shown in a drawing and are working towards a solution we think our customers will like.  When it is released, it will be included in the what's new post similar to the new stuff announced here.
    Thank god! Been having to create duplicate assemblies and suppress the parts, manually update the additional assembly, just to hide 2 parts... Can't wait to have that enabled again
    Tony_C_ said:

When did this happen? 
    Hi Tony_C,

Thank god! Been having to create duplicate assemblies and suppress the parts, manually update the additional assembly, just to hide 2 parts... Can't wait to have that enabled again
    Now if we're going to be able to hide selective things in different viewports we'd really be cooking with fire... 
  • ruben_lie_a_jenruben_lie_a_jen Member Posts: 3

Min/max dimensions on arcs and color changes were the best ones for me !!!

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    You forget something with respect to controlling color and line thickness; where is the capability to set color and line thickness for visible sketches, section cuts, and view labels in drawings.

When might we see selective "hiding" of individual curves to improve drawing readability? 

When might we see the ability to create center-line arcs and simple circles and arcs, besides just simple lines and splines, with the ability to set line style (solid, hidden, centerline, phantom, dotted, long and short dash,... etc) and line thickness on an per entity basis? 
  • dennis_breendennis_breen Member Posts: 2 PRO
    These updates are really solid.  Great job guys.

Thanks
  • ron_morelandron_moreland Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    I don't know when it happened, but I can now import Adobe Illustrator splines in DXF files and they render properly.

Thanks!
  • murat_bakkalmurat_bakkal Member Posts: 7 PRO
    Is there a way to select individual components in assembly drawings? I would like to have different colours for different types of components on PCB's. I could not see a way to do that. This is pretty much the only thing keeping us from using Onshape completely. In SolidWorks I make a folder in the assembly for capacitors, folder for resistors etc.. and just change the colour of the components inside that folder by choosing it in the drawing. Currently the view of the assembly seems to be a big block and individual lines can not be modified in drawings. 

you can right click the view and select "show shaded view"
    then you can set all of the component colors in 3D.

Unfortunately the colors will not export to DWG/DXF.
    If this is a must have feature, create an Improvement Request.
  • micah_mclarenmicah_mclaren Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited August 2018

Currently, changing the dimension's colors changes every dimension for all sheets in the drawing.  Is it possible to select which dimension's colors to change without changing all of them?

No, the colors are for the entire tab.
    It's more for standardizing your borders rather than highlighting specific critical dimensions.