Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Weld Caterpillars

Logan_5Logan_5 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know how to show an actual weld in the model view and how to show weld caterpillars in a drawing?  I do a lot of weld drawings in S.W. and use this a lot.

Thanks,
Logan

Comments

• Options
    One more thing to add in, I watched the webinar that was yesterday and was glad to see the ability to add a leader by holding down the ALT button.  I thought I might try it on the weld callout too, but sadly it just copied the whole thing instead of adding a leader.  I will add this to a feature request if anyone else thinks it'll be good to +1 this.

Thanks,
    Logan
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    +1 for weld leader drag.

Caterpillars are not available yet afaik.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    engineering_deltapengineering_deltap Member Posts: 13 PRO
    +1 for weld leader drag. @paul_charlton
  • Options
    Any update on this comment?  Has Onshape added the ability to show visually where welds should be?

Thanks,
    Logan
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Personally, I'm not aware of a weld caterpillars option in drawings (the stuff I design pretty much never has welding), but here are some relevant things to check out:
    I know it's not the best answer, but hopefully between the 3D Weld custom features and the drawing symbols something will be useful.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    @alnis_smidchens, I appreciate the input.  I tried the first weld feature script and it only works on straight lines.  I will check out the newer version.  I use SolidWorks for my day job and have been trying to work with OS for home projects to get used to it in hopes that I can transition work 3D modelling to OS.  The weld caterpillars in SW can be added automatically in a drawing based on the 3D model or manually.  I wished OS had something to identify where welds are on drawings graphically instead of only having the weld symbols.  Maybe something to come in a future update, but this was first posted back in July of 2018.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @Logan_5 looks like the newer custom feature can handle curves:

However, I can't find an efficient way to get it to show caterpillars in a drawing
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    @alnis_smidchens,  I just submitted a support ticket for the caterpillars.  I hope OS can implement a cleaner, easier way to process parts that are welded together in the part studios, assemblies and drawings.  I did try out the newer one as well and was okay with the results.  Now that I have a support ticket hopefully something will come of it in the future to help my transition from SW to OS be a little smoother.