Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to change an Oblique Part's View to Desired View (i.e. Front) for Drawing

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

Couple things here:  My college is trying to release a full job in Onshape and have an issue with creating the desired views as "Front", "Right" etc... which you could do in other systems and I have to believe there's a way in Onshape. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also help this post helps others as well with the same design workflow.  :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e89fe02beff54ab09f508870/w/4457745a01f34ee1c0f2dddb/e/f31bec121b0e608cba9556e3

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    @Don_Van_Zile you cannot reassign which is the front view in the 3d model (like Inventor), but you can create a named view and use that as your first view in the drawing.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    @Don_Van_Zile you cannot reassign which is the front view in the 3d model (like Inventor), but you can create a named view and use that as your first view in the drawing.
    Good deal! I knew there had to be a way. Thanks, Neil.
  • Options

Ok, now the other problem. How do you dimension these oblique holes they way they should be shown on the drawing?

Closer view (Red Box)

Example of what I want:

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    In that case you will probably have to create a centerline between the two holes on the left (that share the same vertical position) then create a point to line dimension.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    NeilCooke said:
    In that case you will probably have to create a centerline between the two holes on the left (that share the same vertical position) then create a point to line dimension.
    That worked. Thanks again, and for the quick response.