Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

3D Connexion mouse not working

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I know this will sound like a throw away comment but do you have the latest latest drivers?  I suffered to the point of not using mine as it constantly kept forgetting what Onshape was in chrome.  I was updating drivers as they came out, hoping that "this time" they would work.

Well last time I did that (3DxWare 10.5.8 and 3DxWinCore 17.5.8.15128) it actually worked. I've not had one instance of the device not recognising Onshape.

Cheers,

Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • samuel_hollandsamuel_holland Member Posts: 30 PRO
    The funny thing is I am holding off on switching to ChromeOS fully due to my obsession with my 3D mouse
    Maybe now's the time to make the switch!
  • samuel_hollandsamuel_holland Member Posts: 30 PRO
    I know this will sound like a throw away comment but do you have the latest latest drivers?  I suffered to the point of not using mine as it constantly kept forgetting what Onshape was in chrome.  I was updating drivers as they came out, hoping that "this time" they would work.

Well last time I did that (3DxWare 10.5.8 and 3DxWinCore 17.5.8.15128) it actually worked. I've not had one instance of the device not recognising Onshape.

Cheers,

Owen S,
    Yeah unfortunately they're all up to date
    Ahh, sorry to hear that.

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I've been experiencing more problems recently than I did before. There was a long period with zero issues while I see many still had problems while I was running good.

I've been able to 'wake' my devices with closing browser (not just onshape tab) and kill all 3dconnexion processes and start again. Takes about 45sec but is super annoying. I tend to blame myself for leaving everything on and just put computer sleep while I sleep, I think it would be better if shut down browser (and computer). 
    For this reason I use Chrome just for Onshape and sheets, Firefox for browsing, to be able to restart browser without closing other important sites (like Onshape forums etc..).

About drivers (in general) I would say if they work for you, don't push your luck with updating 'em.
    //rami
  • chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd share my Windows experience below:

3dxConnexion not working with Onshape is caused by  3dxService.exe in Windows Startup not loading 3dxNIServer during Windows boot on faster machines.  Works fine on slower machines like my Lenovo Ideapad.

This is what I have to do each day, when I boot my Dell Precision M4800 laptop:

1.  Disable 3dxService.exe in Windows Start (found in Task Manager, you only have to do this once).

2.  Boot Windows and let everything settle.

3.  Click on the Windows icon in the bottom LH corner of the screen, Type "Start Driver" and hit enter. This executes 3dxService.exe,  ensuring it runs after everything else in the Windows Start Routine.

Once I perform the daily ritual Steps 2 and 3 described above, 3dConnexion Mouse works everytime with Onshape, regardless of driver version.

There appears to be a sequence timing error on fast machines which prevents 3dxNIServer from being loaded during Windows boot.

3dConnexion in Germany are aware of this issue, because I have been working with them for a permanent fix.  To date and, even with driver (10.5.8) issued  Jul18 , the problem still persists.  I notice this morning there is yest another driver released (10.5.10) but I haven't had time to test it.

The obvious solution to fix this problem is to change the Windows Boot sequence with a batch file, to load 3dxService.exe after everything else, but I am not smart enough to be able do this.  Perhaps more savvy persons :) could write a batch file so I can test it.

• VierhoutVierhout Member Posts: 13 PRO
    We also have this connection problems on one of our computers with a wireless 3D Connexion mouse. Used @ Firefox and Chrome, win10 pro 64bit.
    It is connected but the driver can not find Onshape.In all other programs it works fine. I have already uninstalled and installed the newest drivers.
    We have tried the above advice, it worked temporarily. But after restarting the computer we have the problems again. Not really practical.
    I am very curious about a permanent solution.

www.vierhoutengineering.nl
    Mechanical Structural Engineering
  • VierhoutVierhout Member Posts: 13 PRO
    Update;

I had consulted the helpdesk of onshape and 3dConexxion. This problem is the cause of the 3dConexxion driver and the Windows firewall. The 3DxNLServer must be allowed through the windows firewall, this must be checked.

Reaction of 3dConexxion;

It worked after these actions. But after a reboot it did not work again.
    The 3DxNLServer was not active. When i start manually the local 3dxnlserver.exe file it works fine. I made a shortcut to the 3dxnlserver.exe file manually.

It is now solved!
    www.vierhoutengineering.nl
    Mechanical Structural Engineering
  • Peter_G_Peter_G_ Member Posts: 1
    One thing I just noticed is when the 3D mouse is working with Onshape, the context menu for it displays the application name as Onshape. When it doesn't function, the context menu shows Chrome. 

I just added the 3DxNLServer to allowed programs for the firewall. It immediately started working after that. We'll see if it's a permanent solution.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I have also experienced that driver sometimes has problems with multiple Onshape (browser) instances running and user bouncing between those. Permanent bullet proof fix would be welcome, it's super annoying when it hits you while trying to represent something to a customer and then need to begin hassling with with drivers..
    If it needs any holes to firewall, they should be added on installation (by software).   
    //rami
    @Nuno

The issue discussed in this thread needs to be resolved by 3DConnexion. 

The latest driver issued in December 2018 still does not fix this issue being experienced by many of 3DConnexions's customers.  It has been going on for years.  In my case, it is NOT a firewall related problem.

Carefully read through Post Number 167.  My post clearly describes the problem, the conditions under which it occurs,and the totally reliable workaround.

Windows arranges programs in the startup routine in alphabetical order, so the driver 3dxService.exe appears at the top of the list, before other programs   Unfortunately, Windows startup routine sequence cannot be rearranged to have 3dxService.exe start last, which may solve the issue, if it could be done.

Thank You.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @chrisjh777 but you can set a service to “delayed start” not sure if it would help. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NunoNuno Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    We have identified an issue in 3DxNLServer.exe that may address the instability issues reported in this thread. The problem is being track internally as WIN-255 and a fix will be delivered in the next driver release expected within the next four weeks.

The bug reveals itself when "fast switching" between users (sign in as one user, then switch to another). In this scenario, 3DxNLServer.exe will crash. This leaves Onshape unable to connect to the driver which, in turn, will identify a running instance of Onshape as just another web page in Chrome and other browsers.

We are sorry for the inconvenience the bug is causing to our costumers, users of Onshape and 3D mice. If the fix for WIN-255 does not address the problem reported here, we will continue to look for a solution.
    edited March 2019
    3Dconnexion published today version 10.5.13 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows.

As mentioned in my post above, this release includes a fix for issue WIN-255 which is believed to have had a impact on the driver stability (3DxNLServer.exe crashes).

We recommend our costumers to upgrade the just-released version. The software is vailable from 3Dconnexion's web site here.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @Nuno
    When will this be pushed for macOS? I am also having 3DxNLServer crashes on my Macbook with 10.6.1.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
     I am eagerly waiting for the Mac version of this driver release as well. Since updating to the most recent release of 3-D connection software I have found it to be more unstable than the previous build. 
    Hi @TimRice,
    @Nuno
    When will this be pushed for macOS? I am also having 3DxNLServer crashes on my Macbook with 10.6.1.

We're aiming for a macOS update (v. 10.6.2) before month's end but the fix to 3DxNLServer (WIN-255) does not apply on Apple's platform. The only 3DxNLServer crash on macOS that we're aware is MAC-96. This bug is triggered by running the "QuickZoom" commands ("In" or "Out") in sequence. A fix will ship in v. 10.6.2.
    @Nuno
    Ahh okay. I have a ticket open currently on a crash triggered by some other unknown source.
    Onshape, Inc.
    @Nuno I can happily report that  version 10.5.13 has fixed my long standing issue.  I no longer have to invoke 3DxNLServer after booting Windows10.  I tested it successfully on 3 separate computers, 2 high speed workstations and one low speed machine.  Thank you!!
  • KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
  • michaelprichardmichaelprichard Member Posts: 4 PRO
    @Nuno : I, too, have been having chronic crashes with 3DxNLServer and have been e-mailing crash reports to 3Dconnexion for over 2 years, but they've consistently said that I appear to be the only one having this issue; this thread seems to imply otherwise. Would these crash reports be useful to anyone at OnShape? My crashes don't appear to have a repeatable sequence that I've been able to discover, but restarting the server and Chrome bring it back to life most of the time, for between 5min and 2 days, no sleeping required. I don't know how to check to see if my issue is similar to what "MAC-96" fixes. I've been tracking the same crash behavior through many Macos revisions and 3 different Macbook (pro)s. Lately without having Little Snitch blocking anything just in case that might have been related. 
    @Nuno : I, too, have been having chronic crashes with 3DxNLServer and have been e-mailing crash reports to 3Dconnexion for over 2 years, but they've consistently said that I appear to be the only one having this issue; this thread seems to imply otherwise. Would these crash reports be useful to anyone at OnShape? My crashes don't appear to have a repeatable sequence that I've been able to discover, but restarting the server and Chrome bring it back to life most of the time, for between 5min and 2 days, no sleeping required. I don't know how to check to see if my issue is similar to what "MAC-96" fixes. I've been tracking the same crash behavior through many Macos revisions and 3 different Macbook (pro)s. Lately without having Little Snitch blocking anything just in case that might have been related. 
    Sounds like the same issue I’ve had for years. Only difference is that I’m running macOS on a Mac Pro (you know, the trash can looking tower😁). Same issue with chrome browser or Firefox. 
    @michaelprichard, @jackson_king

We understand from @TimRice there's a stability issue with 3Dconnexion's proxy server on the Mac. The issue is 3DxNLServer.app crashing. We're trying to chase this down.

Without a running instance of 3DxNLServer.app, there's no way for Onshape to communication with the 3Dconnexion device driver.

We're looking into this. What's impeding progress is the lack of a reproducible scenario. The crashes appear to be random.
  • bill_raynerbill_rayner OS Professional Posts: 34 PRO
    As I too have been having more problems than usual with my SpaceNavigator NB lately, I replaced the latest driver with the previous one (10.5.3)

yesterday, and it's been flawless ever since. It's been ok on my macbook pro, but the mid 2010 iMac didn't like the modern driver.

It's now been almost a month with the old driver, and i've had just one failure, a week ago, but that required a restart.
    I'm using 10.5.13 under windows with a spaceexplorer and it seems stable.  It doesn't seem to fail to recognise Onshape any more.
    O.S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • duncan_quickduncan_quick OS Professional Posts: 1 PRO
    edited May 2019
    I've been using OnShape with the 3DConnexion mouse for about 4 years, and it just freezes after a few hours, or a few weeks, for no apparent reason.  I use the Viewer in the 3DConnexion Home app to confirm that the mouse is still alive and connected to the USB port.

(I bought but never used after day 1 the wireless radio versions of any of these 3D mice, that's just a whole other pain in the bum that is simply not worth it.  Blame will always be put on 'other devices interfering' rather than 'our mouse radios are crap' so it's an added layer of crap you don't want to add to the already impressively high crap sandwich that is modern technology).

Looking (on Mac) in Activity Monitor, I see 3DxNLServer not present.  Going to Finder, then Applications, under 3Dconnexion, and starting that 3DxNLServer.app, then simply refreshing the browser under Chrome or Safari, fixes the problem.  Over the last few days it seems to stop working several times a day which is rather frustrating.  I can't figure out the event that causes it to crap itself, but at least the above method avoids having to restart the computer, which is what I've been doing for the past couple of years.

If that sounds like too many uses of the word 'crap', then please appreciate these mice are from $300 to $600, not cheap, and I charge by the hour for my CAD work, so while I'm farting around trying to solve problems that simply should not be present on expensive and state of the art hardware and software, I'm earning zip.  That's frustrating.  Crap.
    I have found the best way to fully utilize the wireless CADmouse is to use the included USB cord........... always
    I'm using the wired, compact, cheap version on my Mac, so wireless is not an option. I've also logged up another 6 weeks without problem by using the old driver.
    There is a known issue with the 3DConnexion 3DxNLServer.app on macOS. Occasionally you will have to manually restart the app. Please contact their technical support: https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/technical-support.html
    Onshape, Inc.