Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - August 20th, 2018

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited August 2018 in New in Onshape

It’s the middle of August and while a lot of people may be on vacation we’ve been working on a large release for those still in their offices with us. As always, let us know what you think in the comments below.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

CREATE A SKETCH FROM A MATE CONNECTOR

You can now define a sketch using a mate connector in addition to planes and planar faces. The advantage is the ability to define the sketch horizontal and vertical using the mate connector axes - which do not have to match the global orientation.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/97pq00zyuy

ADJUST ARROWHEAD SIZE IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

You can now adjust the arrowhead size and type in both the dimensions tab and annotations tab of the drawing properties panel.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jh9c34w947

AUTOMATIC INCREASE IN TESSELLATION QUALITY

In a previous update, users could set the tessellation quality of their models in Part Studios and Assemblies. Now in assemblies, as you zoom in on an object, your view will automatically use a finer tessellation if it exists. This will improve the initial performance of complex models without compromising the eventual display quality. Setting a specific tessellation quality is still available for each part.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/f5pmmv9m81

USER NOTIFICATION PREFERENCES

Users now have more control over email and mobile notifications in Onshape. Under the account settings, you can now specifically manage when and how you are notified about actions that occur for sharing and commenting.

IMPORT FEATURE CHANGES

Onshape now defaults to importing parts with faults in the import dialog. After an import occurs you can edit the import feature and toggle the option to allow faulty parts. If there are faults in imported geometry, the error graphics will help reveal where a part is problematic.

DRAWING EXPORT IMPROVEMENTS

When exporting a drawing, you now have the options to remove bends and tangent lines, and choose to export spline data as splines instead of polylines. These options are available at the bottom of the drawing export dialog.

DRAWINGS TABLE PROPERTIES PANEL TAB

Drawings tables now have a tab in the properties panel to adjust line thickness, text height, text color, and more for both BOM tables and tables created in a drawing.

RENAME SELECTION SUPPORT FOR DRAWING VIEWS AND SHEETS

The hotkey 'Shift + N' to rename is now supported for drawing views and sheets.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2ds6ndompv

SKETCH FILLET IMPROVEMENTS

Sketch fillets now better support applying a radius that is smaller than the default value. An indicator of where the current radius is located on the sketch will assist you to click and drag the radius to an appropriate value.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1jncahkxrp

IN-CONTEXT INTERFACE IMPROVEMENTS

The interface for editing in context now organizes multiple contexts and helps to avoid the creation of any unneeded contexts. The right-click menu is now organized based on the action you want to perform first, and then the choices for which context you would like to be affected.

REFERENCE PARAMETERS IN FEATURESCRIPT

Consuming Part Studio, imported CSV, and imported image data in custom features has been improved with the addition of Reference Parameters. Custom features can now prompt the user to select geometry from a Part Studio, CSV data from an imported file, or an image as input to the feature. You can use Reference Parameters to import sketch profiles to build your own custom library features or to import CSV data to build curves. This makes your custom features more flexible and universal and opens up an enormous amount of possibilities. The video shows Reference Parameters integrated into the Beams custom feature, referencing a standard library of 80/20 profiles.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uq410iq59y

A detailed overview of all types of reference parameters can be found in the FeatureScript imports documentation. Example features using reference parameters can be found in the Reference parameter examples document. Here is a ready to go example for a common need to import CSV data: 3D CSV Custom Feature

STANDARD CONTENT ADDITIONS

We have added standard content for DIN bolts, screws, and nuts as well as sheet metal fasteners (NAS/PEM). Take a look at the list of added components below:

DIN Bolts screws and nuts

Hex set screw with half dog point and flat cone point DIN 564
Hex set screw fine pitch with half dog point and flat cone point DIN 564
Hex set screw with full dog point DIN 561
Hex set screw fine pitch with full dog point DIN 561

PH Pan head cross recess screw with collar DIN 967
PZ Pan head cross recess screw with collar DIN 967

Cross recessed pan head tapping screw DIN EN ISO 7049
Cross recessed flat head countersunk tapping screw DIN 7050
Cross recessed oval head raised countersunk tapping screw DIN 7051 
Cross recessed pan head tapping screw with collar DIN 968 

Hex socket head cap screw DIN 912
Slotted pan head screw with shoulder DIN 923
Lifting eye bolt DIN 580
Eye bolt DIN 444
Wing screw DIN 316

Square head bolt with collar DIN 478
Square head bolt with short dog point DIN 479
Square head bolt collar and dog point DIN 480

Square nut grade C DIN 557
Square weld nut DIN 928
Square thin nut grade B DIN 562

Hex nut style 2 grade A & B DIN EN 24033
Hex nut style 2 grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28674
Hex thin nut fine pitch grade A & B DIN EN 28675
Hex thin nut grade A & B DIN EN 24035 
Hex nut style 1 grade C DIN EN 24034
Hex nut style 1 grade A & B fine pitch DIN EN 28673
Hex nut style 1 grade A & B DIN EN 24032 

Sheet metal fasteners (NAS)

Hex head self-locking clinch nut NASM 45938/2
Self-locking clinch nut without self-locking threads NASM 45938
Self-locking clinch nut with self-locking threads NASM 45938

Plain clinch flush nut NASM 3214
Self-clinching flush nut NASM 45938/4

Self-clinching blind standoff NAS 1129
Self-clinching thru standoff NAS 1129
Reminder: Requests for additional pieces of hardware can be made through Onshape's support or by referencing this forum post.

PROFESSIONAL FEATURES

SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE SEAT APPLICATION PURCHASES

Companies in Onshape can now purchase multiple seats for an application within the App Store and allocate those purchased seats to users within the company. This makes all billing within Onshape centralized for each company. After buying an application for a specified number of users, an admin can go to the Application settings under the company settings and allocate which users can use the application. This is very similar to assigning users to a company's seats of Onshape licenses.

RELEASE HISTORY IMPROVEMENTS

Viewing the history of a release will now give more insight into automatic obsoletions. A new indicator will let you know when an automatic obsoletion occurs and viewing the obsoletion will reveal which part, drawing, or assembly triggered the workflow.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/gxfxvz6u8y

CREATE COMPANY TEAMS

Professional users will now be able to create company owned teams. The option to create a company team is under the company settings page.

APPROVERS NO LONGER REQUIRE EDIT PERMISSIONS

With this update, approvers are no longer required to have edit permission to the document (note - they still need to be a full-user). In many cases, engineers and designers are going to have their work reviewed for release by department leads, managers, and directors. Many of these users will probably just have view rights - this enhancement allows them to perform their work without additional permissions.

ENTERPRISE FEATURES

APPLICATION VISIBILITY IN ENTERPRISE

In the dev portal, developers for an Enterprise will now be able to specify that an application may only be used by their Enterprise. This is important for companies that are developing internal processes and custom applications within Onshape.

TRANSFER DATA OUTSIDE ENTERPRISE

With this update, you will now have the additional option to transfer documents and folders outside an enterprise. Admins will be able to right-click on documents and select the option to ‘Transfer Ownership’ to a recipient email address. The transfer of ownership is not complete until the recipient accepts the pending transfer. Pending transfers can be canceled at any time.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks folks, lots to digest there, great job.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    What a great way to begin workday!! :+1:
    //rami
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this time you cooked a couple of really delicioius things. Now we can seamlessly combine the complexity of user data and the automation given by the script.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great list of improvements!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Great improvements again!

My favorites in order:
    1. Automatic Increase In Tessellation Quality
    2. Create A Sketch From A Mate Connector
    3. Import Feature Changes
    4. In-context Interface Improvements
    5. User Notification Preferences
    6. Sketch Fillet Improvements
    Still waiting impatiently assembly configurations... (-;
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Excellent work, guys! Reference parameters will completely change the way we develop our Feature Scripts from here on and make what was originally a tedious and complicated task easy, accessible, and simple. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi All!

In addition to the improvements above, we made some additional progress in sheet metal performance.  Complicated models with many corners and reliefs will benefit most from this round of improvements.  We hope this helps your workflow!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    "Automatic Increase In Tessellation Quality"

Any reason this can't be available in Part Studios too? This would be very welcome.
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    @SledDriver - doing automatic refinement in the part studio context currently necessitates performing re-tessellation, which is a costly operation that would interfere with modeling performance.  We are aware that refinement in part studios is a desired enhancement, and are investigating solutions for it.
  • ron_morelandron_moreland Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    The Mate Connector Sketch does a lot of what I wanted from a "relative to point constraint! This is very helpful!
    Thanks
  • CAD_Hero_1337CAD_Hero_1337 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    edited August 2018
    Trying to keep up... Already putting good use to that rename shortcut. Great work as always!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Holy crap! Y'all been busy. Good job
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    @Don_Van_Zile, I did this earlier this year, its a lot of the common US sizes and it lets you change the sizes, as you requested;)  Oh, and it's configured.....

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/661b4cdeb6c1518cd9c394e3/w/3f38e99b9e74b7d16c7acf14/e/17f98cc5bea914044511bbc4

• Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    @Don_Van_Zile, I did this earlier this year, its a lot of the common US sizes and it lets you change the sizes, as you requested;)  Oh, and it's configured.....

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/661b4cdeb6c1518cd9c394e3/w/3f38e99b9e74b7d16c7acf14/e/17f98cc5bea914044511bbc4

You tease...  ;)@jack@jackson_king: Any chance you can share that so we can make a copy rather than view only? 
  • jackson_kingjackson_king OS Professional Posts: 80 PRO
    edited August 2018
    I made it public back I created it and I’m on my phone right, any chance you can search for it by name?

i forgot, there is also a bunch of metric sizes in there too. That’s why the doc. units are mm right now
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    edited August 2018
    It should be copyable @Don_Van_Zile . It wasn't for me when I first followed the link but that's because I wasn't signed in. Now that I am I have the option to copy it.

Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Or better yet, I would link to it, so that I get any improvements that are made by @jackson_king .
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    Or better yet, I would link to it, so that I get any improvements that are made by @jackson_king .
    You were right about not being signed and thanks for the "Linking" tip!
  • Andrew_Enslow_3DSAndrew_Enslow_3DS Member Posts: 40 ✭✭✭
    BEAMS!!!!

This is a great day in the history of 80/20 Frame Design!

Thanks for all the updates!
  • bracesportbracesport Member Posts: 1 PRO
    great job as always - particularly the data transfer functionality!
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited September 2018
    I would like to make an addition to the "Import Feature Changes" section as I could have been more direct. If you import a model with faults and then go and edit the import feature in the feature tree, you should see the faulty areas of the part highlighted in red. This is only visible while editing the import feature. This should help to assist in repairing imported data or for you to make the decision to not include the faulty geometry by unchecking the box to allow faults.

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln