Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Using a part from one document in another document

mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
One of my parts resides in Document A.  I want to import (copy, insert) it into a part studio in Document B so that I can modify it into a new part.

The only way that I have been able to figure out how to do this is to import the part into an assembly in Document B, then modify it in context.  Is this really my only option?  This seems extraordinarily cumbersome.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited October 2018
    The Derived feature will do what you want - it is like assembling a part into a part studio.

Or if you want a copy that is not linked to the original, right-click the part studio and "copy to clipboard" then paste it into Doc B (from the + menu)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Have a look at the derive button in your partstudio :)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can use "derive" command to copy geometry between part studios, or in this case you can copy in place the part in the original part studio and modyfy it there
  • mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Fail.  When I select the "Derived" icon, the pop-up box is empty.  It isn't populated with anything.
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Select 'Other Documents' at the top of the dialog box to connect parts from an outside document into the current document.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If you are just changing a few dimensions try configurations 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    Maybe try "copy to clipboard" then paste the tab in the new document
    @michael_mcclain

That worked. Thank you.
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Is it possible to use the Main version from another document? It now says ##changes since the last version.Create a version ....
    Do you have to create a version and how can you make sure its referencing the last version?

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Let's beat the hornets nest....

I design in assemblies so I'd prefer to bring it into an assembly from another document.

If it needs slight modification, I'd change it and issue another version. If the changes aren't backwards compatible; I'd pin the old assemblies with the older version so they wouldn't update and pin other "where used" cases. If the changes are compatible with the older design; then update the assemblies with the newer part. When? possibly before a build using the newer assembly. I guess it'd depend on your document standards & quality to determine if you need to mark backwards compatibilities & changes.

If you need minor changes and the imported assembly now has 2 versions, I'd branch the design making the design the same yet different. It's easier to manage 2 branches rather than running 2 versions along a single branch.

If the changes are significant, I'd copy it, issue a new number and give it a life of it's own.

I'm trying to build a library of functioning assemblies for reuse. 

One of the things that I'm hoping for is a filter when inserting assemblies from another document that allows me to select my library candidates. When inserting something from the past, it'd be nice to click on a library button and onshape shows me only those things that I think are library worthy.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2020
    @rune_thorsen229

workspaces & versions can best be explained using the url

/documents/ec30302d4f79b3ec12149b52/w/196d8a5aa5162b4ae57bd437/e/0b7c79b788ab85c344ef3a1d

Do you see the address and the "w"? This is pointing to a workspace where you can edit the document.

/documents/ec30302d4f79b3ec12149b52/v/cd7d82669b1795eea3be8f42/e/0b7c79b788ab85c344ef3a1d

See the "v"? I'm in a version and this can't be edited.

The significance of this comes when referencing another document. 1st what can't you do? You can not edit another "linked" document, has to be a version. What can you do? You can reference a version via a linked document. Do you have to version the linked document before using it in another document? yes. It's how the game is played.

When you branch, you have to version that part of the branch to use it in another document.

No other CAD system has this type of breakdown and is unique to Onshape. What's crazy is the myriad of endpoints that can be created & controlled.

How do you use this in production? I believe that's the ultimate question.

• rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    billy2 said:
    @rune_thorsen229

workspaces & versions can best be explained using the url

/documents/ec30302d4f79b3ec12149b52/w/196d8a5aa5162b4ae57bd437/e/0b7c79b788ab85c344ef3a1d

When you branch, you have to version that part of the branch to use it in another document.

No other CAD system has this type of breakdown and is unique to Onshape. What's crazy is the myriad of endpoints that can be created & controlled.

Thanks for the answer. Its not clear to me. I guess the short answer is NO!?
    edited February 2020
    Yes it can, 

Main is a workspace ok, version that and then import it into another assembly. Version it again and then update it in the assembly. You can import any version along the main track or any version along any other workspace track.

Remember you branch to create workspaces.

Let's say I have 3 branches and 15 versions interspersed throughout the branches, I can reference any of the versions.

I can insert anything that has a blue dot:

It's flexible and takes on different strategies when trying to do different things. It's hard to say do it this way when I'm not sure what you're doing. It's just a way to save different ideas when developing a product.

It's simple but not so easy to explain.

When starting out with onshape don't try to figure out branching and versioning. It's hard to understand because we've never had this functionality before.

The day you're working on something and you have a crazy idea that might work, that's the day you try and figure it out. Having a reason to figure it out might make it easier to do so. I want to try an idea out but I don't want to lose what I'm currently working on; this is branching. I want to bring this into another document; this is versioning.