Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Edge much faster than Chrome, but no GPU

robert717robert717 Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I'm viewing someone else's drawings, and I've found that not only does Onshape spin its wheel endlessly on Chrome while it works fine with Edge, but running the browser test shows that Edge is much faster than Chrome (https://cad.onshape.com/check).  In particular, the lines per second measurement is 14 times faster with Edge while triangles are 30% faster with Edge.  So I use Edge and am happy with it, but for some reason, I can't get Edge to use my laptop GPU (mx150).  I've told Nvidia Control Panel to use the GPU for Edge, and I've verified High Performance is set in Windows Display settings for Edge, but the only time the discrete GPU is used is when the Edge window is minimized and maximized.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if performance was improved with the GPU since it didn't change much for Chrome (and is still worse than Edge), but I'd like to learn how to use this thing I paid extra money for.

Thanks

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited October 2018
    If I recall correctly Onshape doesn't recommend Edge.

I couldn't even run the /check page since Edge stopped to en error..
    //rami
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @robert717

If possible, can you please open a support ticket for the spinner on Chrome? This should work and there could be a bug. We have seen instances of web browsers being limited to use the integrated GPUs for compatibility issues. You may find instructions online on how to work around this issue, for example this is for Windows 10 : https://www.windowscentral.com/how-force-microsoft-edge-use-best-gpu-windows-10-april-2018-update . Note: I haven't tried this out.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Hmm, my laptop run into an error with edge but pc run the test just fine, seems to be hardware dependent which is faster.

Here's my quick comparison:

//rami
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I get similar stats to @3dcad but I have tried edge recently and it was doing fine. But there was one or two basic features that it wasn't compatible with. I'm trying to find what they are because I can't remember. They may have been fixed by now maybe.

Edge had an update a few months ago that really helped with Onshape's compatibility. Other than just because, I can't really justify switching to edge anytime soon. It's still has a stigma like explorer did. 
  • robert717robert717 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2018
    I don't care what is recommended and what stigma is associated with my browser, I'll use the browser that gives me the best performance.  Perhaps something is wrong with my Chrome installation.  My laptop results with Edge using the integrated GPU and Chrome using the discrete GPU:

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    In the changelog for 1.84, it says preliminary support for Microsoft Edge
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    edited October 2018
    We do consider Edge a supported browser now.  However, there are some browser-specific issues that will pop up from time-to-time.  I have found the rendering performance of Edge to be pretty good.  However, that 622 million mark for line rendering is most likely wrong and a result of some bad interaction between Edge and our performance check routine.  I have written up a bug on our side to further investigate.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I did run edge for a few hours yesterday. Ran great except placing dimentions in drawings is very slugish. Feels like 10 frames a second
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I have had some students using Edge in class. One particular problem I've seen is when a part model is sectioned. Solid parts looked like surface models. That was about a week ago so maybe its fixed.
  • Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    I have had some students using Edge in class. One particular problem I've seen is when a part model is sectioned. Solid parts looked like surface models. That was about a week ago so maybe its fixed.
    This looks like a bug where the section hatching is not being displayed. Can you please have your students create a support ticket for this? Information on the type of GPU they are using would be helpful. Thank you.
    Evan, will you be updating this thread when you hear back about the performance check?  Or can you let us know when it's either fixed or verified?
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    This looks like a bug where the section hatching is not being displayed. Can you please have your students create a support ticket for this? Information on the type of GPU they are using would be helpful. Thank you.
    I will try to remember. Thus far I have just told students having this issue to use Chrome since the university computers have both installed.
  • EvanEvan Onshape Employees Posts: 62
    @robert717 - I will update this post when the issue has been addressed.
    Thanks