Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape history?

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
Just out of curiosity, when was Onshape born?

I mean the date when it was first time online or some other milestone that you keep as the birth date?
When did you know it's actually becoming something more than great idea?

Was there some major steps to overcome before being sure that it is possible to build cloud cad system? 

@jon_hirschtick
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Late August-2014 was when I first signed up, that was pre-production, I think this was pretty close to the first public release but I am sure it was Online as prototype long before this. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'd like to hear it too
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Jon and several others can talk about the birth of the company, but the "production stack" that answers at cad.onshape.com was created at 

2014-07-09T01:57:58.929Z (this is the very first database entry). Our early "alpha" users, like Bruce, were given accounts later that summer.

Onshape opened up for public beta in March of 2015 and went to "general release" in December 2015.

John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    How did you hear about Onshape?

I came in a bit later in March 2015 and it was just googling around to find alternative for Alibre (Geomagic at that time) since 3Dsystems pretty effectively burried that fine piece of software.. I had to request for account but Onshape already looked good and there was basic functionality to start modeling.
    //rami
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    The birth of the code base I would say is when @ravi made the first check in on December 27, 2012.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Jon and several others can talk about the birth of the company, but the "production stack" that answers at cad.onshape.com was created at 

2014-07-09T01:57:58.929Z (this is the very first database entry).

If you mean it was the seventh september in american date code, then it is exactly my birthday. :)
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353

2014-07-09T01:57:58.929Z (this is the very first database entry).

If you mean it was the seventh september in american date code, then it is exactly my birthday. :)
    Sorry. That's an un-Americanized, ISO date stamp, so it's 9 July.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
    edited October 2018
    Sorry. That's an un-Americanized, ISO date stamp, so it's 9 July.
    ok, at least you guessed the year :D in 2014 I graduated from university
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov If we had known, we would have waited for September 7.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
     If we had known, we would have waited for September 7.
    @ilya_baran we have no power over time, but as a russian hacker you could correct this date in hindsight)
  • Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    Thank you @3dcad for asking this question, and thank you @jon_hirschtick and others for for sharing the history!  It really is fun and amazing to watch Onshape grow and become better and better every month.  (I signed up Aug 2015.)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Well said.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd