Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to remove "broken in-context references"

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
Hi,
I have a transform which have a "broken in-context references" issue. (I don't need the reference anymore so I deleted it).
How can I remove these "broken in-context references" ?
The workaround seems to delete the transform and remake it, but it would be nice to be able to edit or delete the in-context references.

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    You will need to delete/replace all 'context' entites that were referenced.

That includes sketch constraints and sketch planes for example

Just chase the red items and fix them one at a time

Answers

• AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    Good question, I just came across the same problem. I think I duplicated the part and used the new part in the interest of time.
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓

• rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Thanks, nice to know that I'm not alone with the problem. Maybe it could be fixed in a future version.
    Well, I don't think it's "broken". The logical next step would be to delete all of the broken references, so you could assume Onshape would delete them for us. But most of the time you would want to replace them one at a time to ensure you keep your original design intent.

Maybe we can get an option to purge broken references at the sketch level, for when that really doesn't matter.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Context when things are working:
    The magenta edge shows the reference.

Context when things aren't working:
    It's much harder to understand a reference to the broken edge reference. 

Deleting/re-routing broken references has always worked as expected and the error in the tree goes away.

I wish the broken contexts were easier to spot though. Maybe the magenta edge could show red?

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    One thing to note, the sketch does show it's lost it's context reference and it's easy to see:

• SaltyDougSaltyDoug Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have the same problem when I transform a part that has sketches in 2 planes to define the part. The first sketch is in the X-Z plane with the slots against the blue surface. The second sketch is soon the bottom, the X-Y plane.

1. I first select the 3D Part and transform/rotate it 25 degrees CW.
    As you can see the first sketch did not follow the Transform/rotate. Neither did the second sketch.

Next I go back(Ctrl-Z) to pre-rotation, hide the 3D part, and edit/select the first sketch.
    When I transform/Rotate the first sketch 25 degrees, the cylindrical features on the second axis move:

If I then transform/move the first sketch right and down in the Y-Z plane, the cylindrical features don't follow the part and become separate parts.

Is the Transform function really supposed to work this way? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @SaltyDoug - yes this is how it’s supposed to work. If you look at the feature list, each feature is evaluated in turn, so the sketches define the part and a transform moves the finished part. Editing the sketches will redefine the original position of the part. 

There should be no need to use transform in everyday modelling. If you want to move the position of something you should probably be using an assembly. Transform is usually used to move an imported part so that it can be used in a Boolean operation (for example).   

Hope this helps. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited March 2020

Just came across this case where there 'fingerplate' has 'broken in-context references'. No red items however. 
    I though it was a missing mate - negative. Only way out is to redraw the sketch?
  • brunono553brunono553 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Same here. I'd love to see a "remove external references" option from context menu in features and parts:

• bergdesignbergdesign OS Professional Posts: 11 PRO
    Chase the blue constraints since they indicate external references. And if you've exhausted all of the blue constraints and still have broken external references indicated by the feature list broken arrow, check all dimensions because a dimension has no visual indication of external references... They don't show up as blue if they reference external geometry like a constraint does.