Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Deformed Beams FS

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
edited October 2018 in FeatureScript
Hello all,

I present my first FeatureScript: Deformed Beams. With little experience in programming I set out to create my first FS to gain more knowledge on the subject. I created a FS that calculates and displays the deformation in beams with "simple supports" on each end. Before using the feature you will need to know the beam's area moment of inertia as well as the modulus of elasticity. The result is a new beam part that visually shows the deformation as well as displays the max deformation in the feature name in the featurelist.

Many thanks to @kevin_o_toole_1 , @Jason_S and a few other Onshapers who answered all of my beginner questions!

Link: Deformed Beams 

Current capabilities (Start boundary condition/End boundary condition):
- Pin/Roller: Point and Distributed loads
- Fixed/Free: Point and Distributed loads
- Fixed/Fixed: Point and Distributed loads
- Pin/Pin: Point loads

As this is my first FS there are likely errors so I look forward to everyone's feedback. Also, I would appreciate submissions of other simply supported beam equations to add more use cases.
Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Awesome!

By MPa did you mean GPa for the modulus of elasticity?

Can y'all add inch units for us simple 'mericans?

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @TimRice
    This is awesome!
    However, the beam sometimes gets longer with boundary conditions free and fixed
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @john_mcclary
    Thanks! It is coded for MPa correctly but perhaps GPa does make more sense. Imperial units are something I will tackle in the next version

@mbartlett21
    Thank you! Not sure where the error is coming from but it might be related to the number of points I evaluate the deformation equations at. I will take another look at how I could improve that.
    Onshape, Inc.
    @TimRice
    for steel it is 200GPa, but your parameter only allows 100,000MPa
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    TimRice said:
    @john_mcclary
    Thanks! It is coded for MPa correctly but perhaps GPa does make more sense. Imperial units are something I will tackle in the next version
    Awesome FS but I think if you try and enter imperial units it should transfer the user to a paypal screen where a fine has to be paid before it will continue. 

We've got to get these blasted 'mericans up to 1960's standards eventually... 
    Cloud based CAD? No problem, subscribe here.
    Reusable rockets?  How many do you want? 
    Scientific units of measurement? erm, no, we'd rather count in 12's or 16's  or 5280's :):smile:

O.S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    TimRice said:
    @john_mcclary
    Awesome FS but I think if you try and enter imperial units it should transfer the user to a paypal screen where a fine has to be paid before it will continue. 

We've got to get these blasted 'mericans up to 1960's standards eventually... 
    Cloud based CAD? No problem, subscribe here.
    Reusable rockets?  How many do you want? 
    Scientific units of measurement? erm, no, we'd rather count in 12's or 16's  or 5280's :):smile:

O.S.

I'd love to go full metric, but the sheeple of the land (damn baby boomers...) put a kabosh to that before I was born... :(
    and we count in .015625's by the way...
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    As an American living in Europe I love using metric now, but I have to say that the terms 'inch' and 'mile' do sound better in song and story.
    edited November 2018
    As an american dealing with the automotive industry, we have to deal with "soft metric"

the compromise is nothing is nominal in one axis, and you deal with 2 systems of measure...
    inch stock size, metric holes with metric hole locations.
    Really pisses off our shop guys who have inch readouts on the bridgeports and the saw guy who refuses to learn how to read the metric side of his tape. 

I hate half ass, pick one or the other people!
    I think I'll start picketing the whitehouse with a pro-metric rally.

Until then, if my project is in inches, i'd like to keep all the units inch if possible. Same if I was in a metric job.
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Thankfully Onshape handles mixed units very well!
    edited November 2018
    mmeeehh, could be better. Still have way less control and labeling ability than I'm used to in SW.

Sorry Onshape, Solidworks still has you beat here :wink:

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @TimRice
    Where did you get the equations for deformation from?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @TimRice
    Where did you get the equations for deformation from?
    Various online sources. I dont have my textbook from school with the equations so I had to trust in the internet.
    Onshape, Inc.