Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Floating Licence

john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
It would be nice to be able to have a floating seat for the occasional user that needs write access some of the time.
Rather than paying for a bunch of full seats that rarely get used.

This is how it would work off the top of my head.

Company sets qty of floating users.
Company sets which users are members of the company that use a floating seat.
When user logs in they are not prompt for using a key until they make their first edit.
At that point they will get a pop up that asks:

"Modifying this feature requires write access, Would you like to use an available seat? (2/5 seats available)
Yes  No [*] Don't ask me again for this session"

Also a button near the top right (by the user's name or share button) that shows seats available and they can click on it to use a seat at any time. And as a quick way to gain access after checking the "do not ask me" button above

Furthermore, a list they could see which shows who is using a seat. In-case they need to kick a lesser user off a seat :)

This would help smaller companies migrate into Onshape, as they barrier for entry will be easier just by adding a couple more licenses.
When they have this price scheme with Solidworks network licenses today.
Tagged:

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    This would be great for my company as well! We are planning to have interns rolling in and out during the school year, but none of them well be working anywhere near full-time (just a few hours per week). 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    At least two of the software packages we use operate like this. We thought it was normal; as such we were disappointed that OnShape didn't offer it. It certainly delayed us purchasing seats for at least a year.
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    This would be great for my company as well! We are planning to have interns rolling in and out during the school year, but none of them well be working anywhere near full-time (just a few hours per week). 
    Can you have a generic email address assigned to the interns for purposes of using Onshape that is tied to the company email account? Something like internCAD@company.net
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Can you have a generic email address assigned to the interns for purposes of using Onshape that is tied to the company email account? Something like internCAD@company.net
    That's what we are doing now, but the issue came up when they left, now people need to learn another password. 
    That's what we are doing now, but the issue came up when they left, now people need to learn another password. 
    Two words...password manager
    doesn't make it any less a hassle.

also it removes the ability to see "who" did what in the history and drawnby information in the titleblock

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Sounds like a great option.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    doesn't make it any less a hassle.

also it removes the ability to see "who" did what in the history and drawnby information in the titleblock

I don't disagree. There should be more flexibility for companies. 
  • jonathan_monettejonathan_monette Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Every other CAD system offer this option. I don't understand why it's not already there for OnShape...
    The problem with sharing password and user is that if you don't want this person to have access to everything your screwed...
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I suppose floating users would only create & access company owned docs? Not so much fun to call after intern that s/he forgot to share the doc with the company..

I do like this suggestion, it would suit for us too.

//rami
    it wauld be same as today. i have a John folder which is owned by me. But unless i make an effort. it defaults to my company. Then i need to manually transfer ownership. But i dont have acess to profesional benifits dont apply to "my" stuff
  • THOMAS_VIVANTTHOMAS_VIVANT Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Do we have the ability to share a licence between 2 users?
    We bought 3 licences because we need 3 users to have access to CAD. But only 1 users spend 90% of his time on Onshape, the 2 others only 15%. We are looking to bring in 1 or 2 coop students. We were thinking they can share the licence with the 2 others users but the need to go back and reassign the licence would be time consuming.
    And we will not be able to know who did the design as it is a generic email and sign in.
    It will be nice if you can assign a licence to 2 users (of course only one can use it at the time).
  • lucas_johnson223lucas_johnson223 Member, csevp Posts: 18 PRO
    Hi all,
    I created an actual improvement request for floating licenses.
    If you'd like to upvote that IR, here is the link:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18519/true-floating-license/

Thanks!