Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I position one oblong inside another oblong?

bart_harrisbart_harris Member Posts: 29
I have a small oblong that I would like to position in a big oblong, centred horizontally and offset to a fixed distance vertically. Can anyone help please?

I'm new to professional CAD and should probably take a course.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Can you please post a pencil drawing and basic dimensions and I'll model it and show you how I did it.  

• bart_harrisbart_harris Member Posts: 29
    I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you! Here is a sketch.image
  • colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Ok simple enough.  Do you want to interior feature to be a hole or a separate part?

If a separate part...how much clearance between the two?

I'm trying to figure out what you're saying, Andrew_Troup, and will take a look as soon as I can. Thank you.

Coleman, the interior feature is a recess. I actually tried extruding it into my already extruded outer oblong but this resulted in the strangest error message I have ever encountered (see image). I was going to move onto this but clearly my intermediate knowledge of SketchUp is no match for professional software like Onshape...

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    If I understood correctly, you are trying to create some kind of screen. 

1. Create outer shape sketch and extrude to body thickness.
    2. Create inner sketch on the top face of outer and extrude with option 'Remove' (flip direction if needed).

The best way to get help is to make a public copy and share link so others can actually see your model.
    //rami
    I would add points near the two top horizontal lines, then use 'midpoint' constraints to place those points half way along those lines, then a 'vertical' constraint between the two points. I would dimension the width of each rectangle.

For the heightwise constraint I would dimension the height of each rectangle, and include either the 9mm or 27mm dimension to relate their heightwise position
    Thank you for this!

I couldn't make it work initially because I made the oblongs separate sketches but now i've figured it out using just on sketch. :smiley: 

3dcad said:
    If I understood correctly, you are trying to create some kind of screen. 

1. Create outer shape sketch and extrude to body thickness.
    2. Create inner sketch on the top face of outer and extrude with option 'Remove' (flip direction if needed).

The best way to get help is to make a public copy and share link so others can actually see your model.
    Thank you for this but as I explained in my reply above, I could not see how to align the inner rectangle if it was a separate sketch. Any ideas?
    @JakeRamsley 
    That's amazing. Thank you! Now I'm wondering:

1/ How do I hide the construction line without un-constraining the sketch?
    2/ How do I make the centre rectangle a hole (ie. delete the internal face)?

Very many thanks.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_Kaspian
    You need to edit the extrude distance of the inner rectangle to "Through"
    No need to hide construction lines; they do not confuse Onshape (it ignores them when using the sketch) 
    If they confuse you, simply hide the entire sketch by clicking to the right of the sketch entry in the feature tree. An icon of an eye with a diagonal slash denotes a hidden sketch.
    @Chris_Kaspian
    You need to edit the extrude distance of the inner rectangle to "Through"
    No need to hide construction lines; they do not confuse Onshape (it ignores them when using the sketch) 
    If they confuse you, simply hide the entire sketch by clicking to the right of the sketch entry in the feature tree. An icon of an eye with a diagonal slash denotes a hidden sketch.
    I have tried extruding "through all" and it deletes the entire sketch. I have tried it where the internal rectangle is a separate sketch and where it is part of the same sketch. The former simply hides the internal rectangle leaving a solid surface. The latter deletes everything and I am left with nothing.

Also, why would I delete an entire sketch if it's the only thing I have on the page?
    3dcad said:
    More or less, yes! Yes, please. How did you achieve that? Where am I going wrong? Thank you.