Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Touchscreen in windows

I know this has been requested before but I recently saw a Surface Pro advert on tv advertising it for CAD and I thought Onshape is really missing a trick here. 

I have an HP Envy touchscreen with mouse that has persuaded (the hobbyist) me that Onshape is the most intuitive CAD choice, but also a Surface pro that never sits on a desk and using Onshape is really awkward - it works but you are fighting the controls... eg left finger to press trackpad 'right button' and right finger to orbit around, to move the model left and right of the screen I have to zoom out and zoom in on a feature.

Touchscreen would make up a lot but a stylus input would be perfect.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    As far as I know this is not possible because PC touch screen gestures are captured by the browser software before Onshape sees them so a two finger pinch ends up zooming the browser contents. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    andy_sinclairandy_sinclair Member Posts: 5
    Thanks - but I can confirm touch gestures work fine in Tinkercad in the same (chrome) browser (never tried the stylus but I shall give it a go). Tinkercad goes so far as to change the size of the selection points - normal clickable points for mouse become larger, finger sized points when you use touch.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    In that case please search/vote or create a new improvement request in the category on the right
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks Neil - I didn't see the wood for the trees... I've put in a feature request now.
  • Options
    gregorydaltongregorydalton Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Andy, did this go anywhere? Can't find any other info on PC touch screen capabilities.
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    Onshape doesn't support touch screen capabilities in the browser.
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke

Google earth and maps have touch controls
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Onshape doesn't support touch screen capabilities in the browser.
    Are there any plans to develop this functionality? I don't have an iPad Pro to play around with, but I've read from others that using the ipad pencil is great. As a windows user with a touch screen and active stylus, just being able to rotate a model using the touch screen would be great. Being able to use the stylus for things (especially markups!) would be even better. 
  • Options
    There is a feature request which you can uptick, but I haven't heard anything.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5308/ability-to-use-load-mobile-ui-on-the-browser-support-touch#latest
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a feature request which you can uptick, but I haven't heard anything.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/5308/ability-to-use-load-mobile-ui-on-the-browser-support-touch#latest
    Awesome! Upvoted. I also see that it is on their radar and Lou said it something he'd like to see happen as well. That's promising.
  • Options
    Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197
    @tim_hess427 , Thanks for sharing your use case. We do see a lot of user benefit with incorporating touch based interactions with the browser client and plan on getting to this at some point.