Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

PDFs, Part Numbers, and Assemblies

tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
This may be a little bit off-the-wall and half-baked, but wanted to throw this for some feedback - I'd like to be able to add non-3D parts to assemblies. Is this a bad idea? Why or why not? 

I think I'd like to be able to add PDFs and other file types to assemblies. There at times where I have things, such as labels, that do not require a 3D part. Currently, I can upload a PDF (or other graphics file), assign a part number, and even use release management to manage revisions and sharing. All of this is great, except there is no way to get that part number onto the BOM with everything else. This leaves me with the options of trying to manage two different BOMs (the Onshape BOM plus an additional external BOM) or just ignore the Onshape BOM outside of call-outs on drawings. 

Is there a workaround or some functionality I'm missing? Should this be a feature request? I'd love to hear other's thoughts. 

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Maybe not completely off the wall, But typically when I come across that I just make a dummy model (small cube) that is buried somewhere. Then use it as a place holder in the BOM. for things like cables, stickers, purchased modified parts (need to appear on the top level BOM as a purchased part, and as a detailed part with the package)

But It would be nice to be able to add "Dumb Rows" to the BOM without a 3D reference part.

Did you actually want the PDF to appear in the model? or are you just trying to get it on the BOM?
    If I recall, OpenBOM will let you add extra rows of parts that are not on the model.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Not off the wall at all. It would be great for glue, grease, Loctite, etc , etc and has been dicussed numerous times on this forum. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. I did search a little bit, but didn't turn up similar discussions. I'll look a little more.

I hadn't thought about making a dummy part to get the part number on the BOM. I'll play around with that. Also, I don't actually want a PDF in my assembly, but I could see a case where the PDF or graphics file defines an item (such as a label) and it could be useful to associate it with the assembly so that it's captured on the BOM.

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • bill_danielsbill_daniels Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of work but a label can be modeled.  Create a flat sheet .1mm thick in the shape of the label then sketch text on one surface.  Remove-extrude the text .05mm into the sheet then extrude text from the bottom surface of the cavities .05mm as new parts.  Now fruit-loop colored text fills the cavities.  Change the text to the color you want and group the whole thing.  Mate the label to the surface desired with a planar mate and slide it to the final position and fix it in place.  Very fussy but if you need a label....
    @bill_daniels - that's definitely a good way to model it if I need it to show in a render that I'll keep in mind. I need to play around and see if l can do something similar and actually attach a photo to the "part".

I'm more interested in trying to get all the appropriate information into the right BOM. 
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @tim_hess427

OpenBOM allows you to add non-model parts to BOM created from Onshape and keep it in sync with Onshape. 

I just wrote the article that explains how to do it in OpenBOM
    https://medium.com/@openbom/openbom-non-model-parts-in-bom-for-onshape-and-other-cad-systems-640d800111a2

• oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @tim_hess427

OpenBOM for Onshape is FREE again  for all options. 

https://medium.com/@openbom/new-openbom-subscription-model-brings-back-free-openbom-application-for-onshape-2e226ede27d9

We are working on improvements for multiple document use cases and Release management integration. 
    @oleg_shilovitsky - Thanks! I'll take another look!