Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Properties

Viewing properties of a part directly from any of the levels of the assembly without opening the individual part would be awesome!

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You can view it in the BOM
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    This is our solution today.  Does this work?  Adding an option to open up the compoennt property is also something we are looking at.  Let me know if that is what you are after?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    You can view it in the BOM
    The BOM is very useful when it come's to say viewing all the part numbers of an assembly, however if you wish to interact with a number of fields, and your assembly is large, the BOM is very slow loading and hard to find your part to edit as you must change the views to locate your part. The feature would actually work best to populate the BOM
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Josiah_Harthcock
    You can edit it in the BOM
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    We support cross highlighting, editing and have more improvements for performance to come.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited November 2018
    Josiah, I use the BOM all the time for adding my properties. I find a little lag but get generally I can not complain about the opening time. What I dislike is adding extra columns to be able to edit data and then having to remove again to make the BOM in the drawing format. I'd love to see some different custom filters on what properties we can see in the BOM and be able to save this for future docs and custom drawing formats. In some ways I find OpenBOM better for laying out and adding for properties, I use this for projects which have costings or other calculations and will do properties while in there, the spreadsheet style drag down auto fill is one feature I like. 

@lougallo on the cross highlighting, it works well from the BOM  to show all locations but I also really what it to select an item in the workspace and have it show the row on the BOM, this would be ideal for adding properties from blank parts

@mbartlett21, this trailer was done with your AusBeams FS. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited November 2018
    lougallo said:
    This is our solution today.  Does this work?  Adding an option to open up the compoennt property is also something we are looking at.  Let me know if that is what you are after?
    I would use it to populate the BOM as the BOM is often rather incomplete.
    Josiah, I use the BOM all the time for adding my properties. I find a little lag but get generally I can not complain about the opening time. What I dislike is adding extra columns to be able to edit data and then having to remove again to make the BOM in the drawing format. I'd love to see some different custom filters on what properties we can see in the BOM and be able to save this for future docs and custom drawing formats. In some ways I find OpenBOM better for laying out and adding for properties, I use this for projects which have costings or other calculations and will do properties while in there, the spreadsheet style drag down auto fill is one feature I like. 

@lougallo on the cross highlighting, it works well from the BOM  to show all locations but I also really what it to select an item in the workspace and have it show the row on the BOM, this would be ideal for adding properties from blank parts

@mbartlett21, this trailer was done with your AusBeams FS. 

We have tried openBom a bit and should maybe explore it more.

Some of our BOM's take over 30 seconds to open however I shouldn't complain :)
    Absolutely agree on highlighting parts in the assembly and having them highlight in the Bom. would be a big plus!

• oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @Josiah_Harthcock

I'd be happy to help you with OpenBOM if you decide to explore more. OpenBOM has an option to create a template to define what columns are coming from Onshape to BOM. 

@Josiah_Harthcock

I'd be happy to help you with OpenBOM if you decide to explore more. OpenBOM has an option to create a template to define what columns are coming from Onshape to BOM. 

Thank you! I will look into OpenBOM some more here in the next several weeks, so thanks for the offer! 
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @Josiah_Harthcock

OpenBOM for Onshape is FREE again  for all options. 

https://medium.com/@openbom/new-openbom-subscription-model-brings-back-free-openbom-application-for-onshape-2e226ede27d9

We are working on improvements for multiple document use cases and Release management integration. 
    @Josiah_Harthcock

OpenBOM for Onshape is FREE again  for all options. 

https://medium.com/@openbom/new-openbom-subscription-model-brings-back-free-openbom-application-for-onshape-2e226ede27d9

We are working on improvements for multiple document use cases and Release management integration. 
    Very nice updates. Thanks for the heads-up.