Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Precisely, what drawing types can I import? List by file extension please.

bill_rainesbill_raines Member Posts: 1
I have had no luck importing these files; dxf, dwg, dae, fbx, ifc, obj, wrl, xsi. What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @bill_raines Here is the list:

https://cad.onshape.com/help/#web-help/translation.htm?Highlight=translate

We also upload as storage any file extension. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • kiwileekiwilee Member Posts: 8
    Note: They can't be used as sketches. So they are about as useful as an email attachment. 
    It's a sort of reference document collator From what I understand.
  • james_thomas449james_thomas449 Member Posts: 3
    That link does not answer the question.... I would like to import the stl or another type  of file from my  electronic gerber file to save some time.  Can you list the supported types that can be imported to a plane in the drawing.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited August 2015
    @james_thomas449
    That would be dxf and dwg.
    First you need to import them into your document, use + -menu in the left bottom -> import

Then begin your sketch and select insert dxf or dwg, you should see your imported files (they need to be in same document).

//rami
    Perfect. Thanks! , last issue is that they are blank on the import tab across the bottom. they open fine in the native app...
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what 3dcad is explaining is that in the first stage of importation (in their own tab) drawings are not viewable. (I presume that is what you mean by "blank"
    That tab is simply a repository, like a file folder.

The second stage of importation is from that repository into a part studio sketch in the same document, at which point a viable dxf or dwg will become visible.
    When I import the DXF to the part studio tab, via the  insert DXF or DWG the drawing does not show up in on that plane of the sketch...
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @james_thomas449 In the DXF/DWG are the entities in MODEL space or layout?  Currently these have to be in MODEL space to import.  If it is not working, please use the ? menu ->? feedback to send us more information.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • john_gwinner099john_gwinner099 Member Posts: 2
    lougallo said:

This ends up being pretty useless, however. I was hopeful you could handle FBX, but every time I click on it, it appears it just became storage. I looked up the documentation link and it's still not clear.

With the state of industry, this is a vital question. Interoperability is a given.

I have an ASCII FBX file that Blender can't handle, was hoping OnShape could.

Apparently not??

== John ==
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    lougallo said:

This ends up being pretty useless, however. I was hopeful you could handle FBX, but every time I click on it, it appears it just became storage. I looked up the documentation link and it's still not clear.

With the state of industry, this is a vital question. Interoperability is a given.

I have an ASCII FBX file that Blender can't handle, was hoping OnShape could.

Apparently not??

== John ==
    The files you are looking to import are I believe animation files for video games and movies and such. Onshape does not work with those files, nor does any other "mechanical CAD program." It's a completely different industry without overlap.