Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Slope between 2 Points

2»

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2019
    I just realized I've hi-jacked this thread and turned it into a curve discussion, sorry.

Bridge curves will pickup the mid point of an existing curve. 3D curve (3d fit spline) will not:

So, one of the reason's I liked Ilya's 3D spline feature script, with my modification, I could pick the mid point of another curve. This is something I do a lot when creating planar faces on mesh data. But, can I stay in native code without feature scripts?

planar face on mesh:
    1. construct 2 vectors
    2. sweep one vector along the other
    3. extend surface edges beyond working area
    4. sketch your stuff
    5. offset 0mm to create a trimmed surface

I used a modified feature script but you can use a bridge curve and create 2 vectors:

Sweep to create a plane:

Extend surface to make plane usable, this is a feature script:

Use this plane to create a sketch:

Create another sculpted surface (trimmed surface) from sketch:

I went from mesh data to a planar face which is the start of a part. Notice the 2 vectors (highlighted curves) are co-planar to my sculpted face. This is repeated several times to stitch together the beginning of a part.

This is an example of surfaces migrating into solids.

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @billy2
    You can use this feature to extrude a line in a direction defined by two vertices, rather than having to create another line to sweep along:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/24819ddab7dc83c810eb8246
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @mbartlett21 nice! I've been looking for thins and you've brought them to onshape. It's in my tool bar.