Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Enclose on Projected Spline

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
If I project a set of splines, can I not use these projected splines in the Enclose command to make a surface?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6e77b22afe1bdac02e427230/w/bfee167c8c62d3cbf9e2303e/e/66ae6513994178181b15a943

Best Answer

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Answer ✓
    When you hover your mouse on the red text, it tells you a more specific error: "This operations creates intersecting edges"

If you look at your original sketch, the lines you've drawn are indeed crossing in the far corner. If you zoom wayyy in you can see the endpoints of that line are not coincident. You can make them touch by adding a coincident constraint (select two endpoint and press the I key). After that change the fill feature should work fine.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    No - enclose is for making solids from surfaces and planes. You could create a plane through your line (normal to plane FRONT) and extrude the sketch up to that plane. The end of the solid would give you the face you need.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean. Is there a command to make a surface from a set of curves?

No - you can from a sketch, using offset surface, but not an arbitrary set of 3D curves. You can try the Fill command, but it may not work as you want it to,

Extrude example:

ok, but how do I approach this, then?

This is supposed to be a road with a wall alongside it

If you extrude the whole thing as a solid you will get the face marked "1" (as in my image). Or try Fill.
    Fill was really what I meant to do, instead of that enclose command, but Fill gives me the message that it's not able to regenerate it.

I also tried to extrude the same set of spline, but that also gives the same error

When it says it can't regenerate, is there somewhere else that explains a little more what its problems are? That it can't regenerate doesn't really tell me anything to help troubleshoot. 
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Answer ✓
    When you hover your mouse on the red text, it tells you a more specific error: "This operations creates intersecting edges"

If you look at your original sketch, the lines you've drawn are indeed crossing in the far corner. If you zoom wayyy in you can see the endpoints of that line are not coincident. You can make them touch by adding a coincident constraint (select two endpoint and press the I key). After that change the fill feature should work fine.
    edited January 2019

woah, I was sure I had restrained them;) Thanks a lot.

btw, as I don't need the splines I used for projection, I thought I could just change them to construction splines, but that doesn't seem to work. 

I don't really want them displayed cause I only use them to make the road. However, if I convert them to construction splines, the rest won't regenerate.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @famadorian you're quite the surfacing dude.

I've got $5 buck on "you'll succeed". Please keep posting progress.

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2019
    Here's another way,

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7bca6329d1065398cccf45d6/w/267c572473b967c7d8fb05be/e/1e0594d38604f3ef094647df

There's a million ways to build this and best way is to keep on trying. I tend not to project curves and sketches rather deal with the surfaces themself.

Neither way is right or wrong.....

billy2 said:
    Here's another way,

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7bca6329d1065398cccf45d6/w/267c572473b967c7d8fb05be/e/1e0594d38604f3ef094647df

There's a million ways to build this and best way is to keep on trying. I tend not to project curves and sketches rather deal with the surfaces themself.

Neither way is right or wrong.....

Right, but that's like constructing and then deconstructing harry;) I like to build a cage of splines and then just surface them in the end;)

I get it, working with wireframe, constructing surfaces, then enclosing to make a solid.

What are you making? What is this thing?

billy2 said:
    I get it, working with wireframe, constructing surfaces, then enclosing to make a solid.

What are you making? What is this thing?

Right now I'm going to make a lot for a house with underground parking

No;) The task has already been solved, but now the question is why I can't use construction lines instead