Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Split edge

MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
I would like to split an edge of a surface, so I can use my edge change FeatureScript on it
mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
IR for AS/NZS 1100
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @MBartlett21 This seems like an odd request.  Can you explain the use case other than so you can build a feature to mod edges?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 75 PRO
    @lougallo

I have a use case for this. In surfacing i often want to split an edge of a surface 1 to create a surface 2 that is only meeting surface 1 partly. nowadays i have to convert the edge to a curve using composite curve now we can trim that curve. but it's a bit cumbersome. i also often end up splitting the surface in order to split the edges. but i end up with a whole bunch of smaller surfaces that would not need to be the case otherwise.

so in my view a split edge feature could be very useful for surfacing.

kind regards

Jelte
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @lougallo Same exact thing for me. It's great for surfacing workflows.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Plasticity (also Parasolid based) makes it super easy to split edges and/or faces, and then later remove the splits. It also has the ability to add limit points to lofts, kinda like fillets in Onshape can be limited to an arbitrary point along an edge. Clearly under the hood it's possible to do this.

Hey, so I started  learning featurescript so i created a split edge FS as a first practice feature. I noticed other attempts but they didn't all work as i'd like.
    I started simple with a position/distance split... the opSplitEdge also allows splitting with another feature like a face but that'll have to wait a bit.

so if anybody else is looking for this feature: here goes:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df7470bfcac6dbf738846c11/w/4e60241b9fc0b28698901775/e/671818721a239174621cf6b1?renderMode=0&uiState=65f323ee2da7d66653a8662c

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Added to my toolbar.

It would be nice to have the point shown as a manipulator instead of the debug colored edges. You might want to look at @Evan_Reese's code for 3D Points.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/309e817bcaf616677a834985/v/2a5b0d5c7243e2a8e6a93479/e/b28795ae9aec5a245cccb936

Or alternately, Evan could add an option to split edges...

I could also see it being helpful to have a pattern of splits. I would pick either individual points to split - or I would pick a number of splits and it would do equal spacing (either by parameter or by distance).

Evan's Facecurves has options for individual vs grid (pattern).
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a8fffe63f92001db50a75db9/v/4c0e6b481cc73c58be7d40ad/e/193257f65ba4c932585edbb6

Another nice trick is that it has the ability to split a face with a U or V isoparm which is closest to a reference vertex. I could see a similar functionality being useful for the split edge tool.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @jelte_steur814
    nice! I've wanted this feature in the past and somehow missed that opSplitEdges() existed. I added it. Feel free to use/remix any of my code. If you do I'd be grateful for attribution of some kind. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    edited March 18
    Hi S1mon,
    I added Manipulators. thanks for the input.
     it was a struggle for a newb like me, but i managed and learnt a lot.

for pattern splits, it think the best way to go would be to make a robust 'split edge by geometry' version. This could be a tab in this dialog in the future. 

that would work with all kinds of pattern features upstream in the feature tree. a curve feature pattern of a plane along one or more edges, would do the trick to create the geometry of a point pattern. 

This results in a much simpler split edge feature and UI.
    but that's for another day.

thanks again,

Jelte

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎