Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 11th, 2019

bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
edited February 2019 in New in Onshape
We're continuing to dive into 2019 with another big update involving highly-requested improvements! Let's get started.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

ASSEMBLY CONFIGURATIONS

Onshape's unique approach to configurations using multiple independent inputs is now available at the assembly level.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/brzu1vxkfc

VARIABLE AUTOCOMPLETE

Variables will now appear for autocompletion in feature dialogs, sketch dimensions, and a number of other places. Other helpful math functions such as rounding also autocomplete; for more information take a look at our help documentation.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/uyeudu9mgb

MIRROR IMPROVEMENTS

Mate connectors can now be used as a mirror plane in Part Studios.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/quujot9ihu

DRAWING ANNOTATION IMPROVEMENTS

You can now add leaders (even multiple leaders) to GD&T frames, as well as multiple leaders to weld symbols and surface finish symbols.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/g3p61h7foc

HOLE CALLOUT SNAP IN ONSHAPE DRAWINGS

Hole Callouts will now snap in Onshape Drawings. This makes them easier to align for improved Drawings organization.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/odontjjxbx

SECTION VIEW DEPTH

You can now define the depth of Section Views in Onshape Drawings.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/oovjsnel3a

IMPORT IMPROVEMENTS

Onshape now supports importing the following file types:
  • ACIS up to 2018 1.0
  • Solid Edge 2019
  • SolidWorks 2019
  • Unigraphics NX 12+

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

SINGLE SIGN-ON WITH GOOGLE

Enterprise administrators can now enable single sign-on (SSO) to Onshape through a user's Google account. This enables users to sign in with Google but does not include identity management with Google. SSO is available for Onshape's web and mobile platforms. Administrators can enable SSO under their company authentication settings.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.
Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
Twitter: @bradleysauln

Comments

• patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Wow Thanks
    Will try the configuration for sure
    Pat F
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited February 2019
    Thanks folks for the Assembly Configurations! Many of us have been waiting breathlessly for this to be added.

And it looks amazing, too. Can't wait to start working with it.

Now, to watch that video again....
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements!!!
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Nice Work!  Assembly configuration looks to be all they have promised to be. Can not wait to try it out. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Great work !
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Looks great, well done folks.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does assembly variables are only existing within configurations for now?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Does assembly variables are only existing within configurations for now?
    Correct
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    Will there be a possibility to import assemblies to FS?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • EXCELLENT! Assembly configurations, that is sooooooo good, no holding back now. Goodbye SolidWorks.
  • Yam_SYam_S Member Posts: 45 PRO
    Excellent!!
    The new Assembly configurations looks amazing!
    Nice work
    @NeilCooke
    Will there be a possibility to import assemblies to FS?
    No, not yet. It will be a while before that is available. 
  • Song_YikunSong_Yikun Member Posts: 39 PRO
    section view depth T_T
    section view depth T_T
    Thought that would make you happy 😃 
  • albjerrealbjerre Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    Variable autocomplete is a great feature!
    I still miss 3D sketches though... We really need this feature for complex modelling.
    edited February 2019
    Here is an example of Assembly Configurations for you to play with. It includes Configuration Variables (lots of them), Suppression, Pattern counts and Mate Limits: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7186148cb1154e7f8cc182ad

• APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    I noticed the assembly config panel tab this morning and got all excited! What an update! Endless applications for this.  I might start with exploded views!
  • Mehul_GalaMehul_Gala Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Incredible work everyone! This is a WONDERFUL update!  
  • bsquaredbsquared Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke
    Is the example available in a tutorial? I would like to go through a tutorial if possible.
    @bsquared - it is not, I only made it yesterday. However, the concept is the same as part configurations. The only thing you have to consider (as in this case) is if the parts you are changing are buried several subassemblies deep, you will have to create a Config Input at every subassembly in order to drive a lower level configuration.

https://learn.onshape.com/courses/introduction-to-part-configurations
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/advanced-part-configurations
    edited February 2019
    Assembly configurations are great!

Custom Properties
    Of course, you can configure Custom Properties, just like Part Studio configurations. This is fantastic. Except: It seems that you can't configure the Name property of an Assembly...Is this a limitation? Or is there another way to end up with a different Assembly Name for different Configurations. Other properties seem to be available, but not Name.

Obervation regarding Release Management & Versions:
    When you Release a configured assembly, it Releases ONLY the active configuration (or the config that you select). The Released Assembly's configuration is fixed in any downstream documents / instancing. (You can, of course, release more than one Configuration of the Assembly).

When you Version a document, the Versioned Assembly's configuration can be changed in downstream instances.

@NeilCooke can you confirm this is the desired behaviour? It makes sense to me...and now have to rationalize my workflow with RM and Versions...

Thanks
    Romeo

• don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Great stuff !

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited February 2019

Custom Properties
    Of course, you can configure Custom Properties, just like Part Studio configurations. This is fantastic.

When you Release a configured assembly, it Releases ONLY the active configuration (or the config that you select). The Released Assembly's configuration is fixed in any downstream documents / instancing. (You can, of course, release more than one Configuration of the Assembly).

When you Version a document, the Versioned Assembly's configuration can be changed in downstream instances.

@NeilCooke can you confirm this is the desired behaviour? It makes sense to me...and now have to rationalize my workflow with RM and Versions...

Thanks
    Romeo

Hi romeo_graham392,

If I am reading your observation about release management correctly, then you are correct about how assembly configurations work for versions vs. revisions.

1. When you are releasing an assembly, you are saying that that specific configurations (with corresponding part number) is important.  Likewise, when you reference it, you are pointing directly to what that part number resolves to and in this case is the specific assembly configuration.
    2. When you make a version of a configured assembly, and reference it, you are referencing the state of the assembly instance at that moment in time.  That assembly was configured and you are able to pick and choose which inputs to the configuration are important to you.

edit:
    You will also see this same behavior with parts from a configured Part Studio.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • randall_briggs785randall_briggs785 Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Thanks for the variable auto-complete! I use variables all the time and really was hoping this feature would show up since it can get tiresome to have to go and lookup long variable names and then make sure that you type them perfectly each time.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2019

Custom Properties
    Of course, you can configure Custom Properties, just like Part Studio configurations. This is fantastic.

Thanks
    Romeo

Hi romeo_graham392,

If I am reading your observation about release management correctly, then you are correct about how assembly configurations work for versions vs. revisions.

1. When you are releasing an assembly, you are saying that that specific configurations (with corresponding part number) is important.  Likewise, when you reference it, you are pointing directly to what that part number resolves to and in this case is the specific assembly configuration.
    2. When you make a version of a configured assembly, and reference it, you are referencing the state of the assembly instance at that moment in time.  That assembly was configured and you are able to pick and choose which inputs to the configuration are important to you.

edit:
    You will also see this same behavior with parts from a configured Part Studio.
    This is something that I feel we need to develop.  We'll release a "Product Family" on our current in-house system.  You could think of it as releasing the configuration table itself, not the output from that table.  Releasing one part at a time is no good, especially with variables in a config that allow for infinite configurations. 

We'd want to say to our sales team "Here are the product rules (the configuration menu), sell anything you like that fits within this framework and it'll just work."

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I noticed the assembly config panel tab this morning and got all excited! What an update! Endless applications for this.  I might start with exploded views!
    I would say this is not the right way to do exploded views.. .you would have to still release the assembly and mark the other config as Not revision managed.  Exploded views are on the radar and hope to get it to you as soon as we can.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    Thanks @jakeramsley

I added a little edit to my post before I realized you had responded.

Can you comment on how we can Configure different Name custom property for Assembly Configs?

@owen_sparks
    I agree with you - and this is part of the larger discussion on how to get Release Management to work for us. We're going in a good direction though.
  • APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    @romeo_graham392 great question! If onshape could, at the same time as configuring the assembly, generate the config specific product code/ product name (or at least some piece of  metadata text ) that would be wonderful.