Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Piping Diagrams, P&IDs & other schematics

rahul_nabarrahul_nabar Member Posts: 1
Does OnShape provide any tools for making P&IDs (Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams) 3D piping isometric drawings & other schematics? 

I do realize this is not 3D-CAD but many of the conventional CAD systems nevertheless provide some functionality for this sort of thing which still benefits from CAD functionality. 

Just curious. 

Best Answer

Answers

• david_stoldtdavid_stoldt Member Posts: 3
    I to would like to have some tools for doing 2D schematic drawings within a project. These may include P&ID (piping and instrumentation drawings) Electrical Schematics, Flow Diagrams, Control diagrams etc....  
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    I'm not sure if this has gone anywhere.  We design and build our own equipment and it would be awesome to be able to create and track the wiring schematics within Onshape as well as our mechanical drawings.
  • mark_slusermark_sluser Member Posts: 9
    I end up having to use AutoCAD for electrical enclosures and routing of cables. I would love to use OnShape for this use case. Is there any plans to equip  OnShape with some 2D capabilities to draw basic shapes that are associated to 3d parts ? Like a terminal block, or PLC IO module? 
  • david_robertsdavid_roberts Member Posts: 6 PRO
    I'd like this capability as well.  Having a wiring harness "schematic" native to Onshape would be really convenient.
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 1
    Does OnShape provide good 2D drawing functionality in conjunction with a symbol catalog?
    What I am searching for is a consolidated CAD tool that would provide basic modeling & assembly functionality (OnShape seems to provide this) but also good 2D drawing support (direct draft without requiring an associated model/assembly). A fully featured P&ID or Electrical schematics system that sits on a database is not required, but it would be nice if a 2D symbol catalog could be created and symbols plopped into 2D drawings.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Marvin said:
    ...but it would be nice if a 2D symbol catalog could be created and symbols plopped into 2D drawings.
    Microsoft's Visio has a number of engineering templates, some of which are specific to creating PFDs and P&IDs.  I use to create very simple schematics for R&D projects but it looks like it could be fairly powerful if one expended the effort to create custom tool bars and templates for your specific workflow.  I use Visio 2010 so it may have been upgraded significantly since then.  Here's a link to give you an idea of what it does and a general idea of how it works:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-a-p-id-or-pfd-1867e7bd-7bef-4dec-b4c4-28d1c6d954ee

• leecaseyleecasey Member Posts: 34 PRO
    I've just spent the last week, trying to convert from Creo to OnShape and just realised I need to do P&ID's. Guess I'm going to have to wait until Creo+ (Creo Cloud) lands next year.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @leecasey there is a partner app, "Electra" that can do P&IDs
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jonathan_SchwartzJonathan_Schwartz Member Posts: 2
    @NeilCooke is there a replacement partner app to "Electra"
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @Jonathan_Schwartz not in the app store, but you can still use the product https://www.dex.siemens.com/plm/capital-electra-x
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI