Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

My Onshape - Open In New Browser Tab - DON'T Navigate to New Tab.

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.
Often I'll start my day by going to "My Onshape" and opening the documents I wish to use be selecting "Open in New Browser Tab".  I'll want to open a bunch of them...
I find it annoying that as soon as I open the new tab OnS navigates away from My Onshape and to the new tab so there's load of switching forwards and backwards. 
I'd like the option to open the new tabs, but not navigate to them please.
Cheers,
Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @owen_sparks
    It seems that if you ctrl+click the link, it opens in a new tab and does not switch to it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks @MBartlett21 that's good to know :+1:
    Owen S,
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I feel this is more like browser specific extension feature.

With chrome:
    - Click to open into current window
    - Shift click to open and move focus into new window
    - Ctrl click to open into new tab but keep focus on current

Add these to extra mouse buttons 👌
    //rami
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    These are browser behaviors usiing CTRL/CMD click
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Not sure if this is Mac behavior or Chrome, but I can get this behavior with a middle mouse button click.  Possibly useful for your workflow :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Thanks gents :+1:
    Owen S.

HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited March 2019
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    Middle click does not work for opening document tabs in new tabs, but ctrl+click does.
    Why is that?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    There are some areas where this does not work with middle click,

For example switching to a part from an assembly:

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Middle click is not Onshape behavior, it's just browser behavior so YMMV.  I use it all the time in my browser to open links in a new tab so I figured I'd share, but I'm not sure where it will work in Onshape and where it won't.
    edited March 2019
    Yea, that's what I was pointing out, some context menu's will, others won't

What is special about the links in the context menu above vrs this one for example

edited March 2019
    @john_mcclary

Without actually looking into the code I suspect that the ones it works on are html <a> tags (in other words, hyperlinks disguised with some nice styling), and the ones that it doesn't work on are just buttons with a click handler that invoke some piece of javascript that eventually switches tabs or opens a new browser tab.  So basically the difference is whether we've implemented some custom behavior for what is being clicked, or whether we're just providing a clickable link and the browser is handling the behavior.
    edited March 2019
    I was guessing the same thing, my question now is:
    Why are some menus html tags, and others buttons?  ;)

Not saying you are doing things wrong, (how would I know) Now it's just to satisfy my curiosity
    So, something that says "switch to" has the intention of switching you from one document tab to another (Or possibly to another document).  This would be implemented as a button so that we do not do a page reload when you click on it (instead we just hook up the button to some piece of code that changes the existing page in exactly the way that we want).  You would not expect us to load an entirely new page when clicking on that, rather you would expect to stay inside of the Onshape application, and we just load up the new experience within the framework that already exists (the navigation bar, the tabs across the bottom, etc.).  In other words, clicking on "switch to" doesn't just tell the browser "redirect to this new URL", it actually just does all the switching manually, and then also manually changes the URL at the top of the page to reflect the new context.  You can prove this to yourself by going to one of those assemblies and clicking on the switch to; notice that the Onshape bar at the top does not go away.  This means we did the switch ourselves, within the Onshape application.  If we weren't handling it ourselves you would see a blank screen for a moment and whatever graphics the browser displays when you click on a hyperlink (some kind of loading spinner probably).

Something that says "open in new browser tab" has to open a new tab anyway, so we cannot get around having to do a full load.  The easiest way to handle this is to just let the browser do it.

Hopefully this is useful?  Always happy to help sate some curiosity!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2019
    Sometimes it is very difficult to believe that Onshape UI is 'just a webpage'. 🧐 It just feels so 👌
    //rami