Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to look and work from the inside of a part

baumarbaumar OS Professional Posts: 76 PRO
edited November 2016 in Community Support
I would like to make changes on the inside of a part. The most simple example is a hollow ball where you would add something to the inside. I saw in some videos that it is possible to make cuts and then see the inside, but it was too fast to get how they do it. Is there a video describing this in detail? 
Is it possible to set the view point to the inside of a part or assembly in order to view a hollow part or assembly from the inside? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    Great! I didn't see that and without knowing the name I could not find it, thanks a lot. 

There is still the question if you can place 'yourself', that is the view point inside of a hollow part so you can inside out. That might not make too much sense for a tool, but for things human use like a house or a car...

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @baumar. Good question. 

Most cad systems have a default mode where the camera (eye) is a long way outside the geometry. 'Closer' or 'further away' is usually achieved by changing the 'zoom' factor and/or the perspective. Note that the camera does not 'move' and therefore cannot go 'inside' the part. 
    This is exactly how Onshape works. 
    If you would like to open an enhancement request to be able to position/orient the camera, please feel free to do so from the feedback tool (under the '?' pulldown). 

I hope this helps :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    If you change view mode to 'perspective' you can travel through walls and go inside the model. I do this all the time with models of buildings.
    //rami
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @3dcad - Rami, yes that does work to an extent. Think of the faces closest to you bulging outward (perspective says things closer to you are larger than things further away) - perhaps even to the point of now being behind the camera. Yes it works (in some cases), but you still cannot move the camera forwards. Baumar, please submit an enhancement request if you need this. :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks for explanation, add my ticket on this too..
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad - Rami - you know you need to do this yourself to count! :)
    For anyone reading this that doesn't know, you go to the '?' dropdown and select 'feedback' and just type, 'this is an enhancement request for xxxxx'.
    That will add your name (and vote) to the story and when implemented, will get you an email. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @philip_thomas
    Of course, I already did that before posting.. I meant that my ticket can be grouped with others on this thread
    //rami
  • Options
    ^^^ yes 
    Rami - yes, all enhancement requests from users are individually added to the 'story' in our project management system. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Thanks for the hint with the perspective and the explanation!
    I just didn't get from the answer of 3dcad if there is an open ticket ("my ticket can be grouped with others") that I can vote on or if you are suggesting to better open a new one?
  • Options
    @baumar - There are stories for literally thousands of things that we will or want to do in the fullness of time.
    Any time there is something you need to do do your work, go to the feedback tool (under the '?') and submit it. Lou and his team do an awesome job of matching the requests to the existing (or new) stories. No other action required on your part. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited November 2016
    Re movable view location.

I loved this feature in a rival cad system  (It was designed primarily for architects.)  This allowed a user to fly the camera to any point and even save the camera paths for animations.

I'm sure this will tie nicely into VR CAD.  I can't wait to stand in, or next to, the thing I'm working on.  Even a dour Welshman might have to use the term "awesome" at that point.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    @owen_sparks - I am Welsh (my father is from Neath) and I say 'awesome' all the time (but then again i work at Onshape :)).
    Yes, a moveable camera location seems to be quite popular!
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @baumar. Good question. 

Most cad systems have a default mode where the camera (eye) is a long way outside the geometry. 'Closer' or 'further away' is usually achieved by changing the 'zoom' factor and/or the perspective. Note that the camera does not 'move' and therefore cannot go 'inside' the part. 
    If you would like to open an enhancement request to be able to position/orient the camera, please feel free to do so from the feedback tool (under the '?' pulldown). 

I'd really like a first person view, being able to explore and edit the model like an FPS'er with a jetpack, especially now that we get AR and VR  glasses. Has there been any IR made for this?

Also, isn't it better if we get a proper bug/feature tracker for these things?
  • Options
    @famadorian It feels almost like a game when you set perspective view and have 3d mouse to navigate (like 3dconnexion, you can't do this with standard mouse). 

I'm not against making it even better but I think there are too many things to improve before this..
    //rami
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited February 2019
    3dcad said:
    @famadorian It feels almost like a game when you set perspective view and have 3d mouse to navigate (like 3dconnexion, you can't do this with standard mouse). 

I'm not against making it even better but I think there are too many things to improve before this..
    I agree, there are a few more things that should be priority, but camera manipulation shouldn't be too much to slip in. I mean, (not sure about webGL) but that is basically the first thing you learn about with other 3D engines (can't even view your geometry until you setup a proper camera), give it a few key binds and go. I'm probably drastically over-simplifying, my experience in this comes from dabbling in allegro (back in the 90s) and .xaml (so probably not the best source)

So far I've only seen walk-thru in autodesk stuff, but it was a fun (mostly useless) toy for what I do. But for architectural models I could see a big want for this while presenting to a customer.
  • Options
    Rufus31415Rufus31415 Member, Developers Posts: 18 ✭✭
    @baumar. Good question. 

I'd really like a first person view, being able to explore and edit the model like an FPS'er with a jetpack, especially now that we get AR and VR  glasses. Has there been any IR made for this?

Also, isn't it better if we get a proper bug/feature tracker for these things?

Re movable view location.

I loved this feature in a rival cad system  (It was designed primarily for architects.)  This allowed a user to fly the camera to any point and even save the camera paths for animations.

I'm sure this will tie nicely into VR CAD.  I can't wait to stand in, or next to, the thing I'm working on.  Even a dour Welshman might have to use the term "awesome" at that point.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Section view woud be easy to implement in our AR/VR OnShape prototype :