Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - February 11th, 2019

124»

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @evan @Nuno
    While we are on subject, where lies the reason that response time is slower with Onshape than for example Alibre?

I have now these both running side by side on my screen and Alibre is just snappier and feels more accurate to control. It's not about movement speed (that can be tuned in settings) but response time, we are talking about milliseconds here.. It's like throttle response on motorcycle, doesn't show on paper but makes a noticeable difference in handling.
    //rami
  • NunoNuno Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi 3dcad ,
    @evan @Nuno
    While we are on subject, where lies the reason that response time is slower with Onshape than for example Alibre?

I have now these both running side by side on my screen and Alibre is just snappier and feels more accurate to control. It's not about movement speed (that can be tuned in settings) but response time, we are talking about milliseconds here.. It's like throttle response on motorcycle, doesn't show on paper but makes a noticeable difference in handling.

I'm not familiar with Alibre but I believe you may be comparing a web program (Onshape) running in the context of a web browser with a native program (Alibre). The web program interfaces with the 3D mouse driver using the loopback network adaptor. This means there are a few extra hoops to get from one end (the hardware device) to the other (the target program) leading to an increase in latency.

For the most part, the increase in latency for a web program such as Onshape (where the graphics triangles are also managed locally) is negligible but if you do a side-by-side comparison, the difference is expected to be noticeable.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Thanks for explanation @Nuno 
    //rami
  • SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
    edited February 2019
    Fantastic Update.  You should extend the assembly configuration capability to be the method of defining exploded views.  I just used assembly configurations for the first time to create an exploded view.  I would love to have a button that I can press within the configuration menu that automatically assigns all mate offsets as variables to a configuration state called "exploded view".  Part of this feature would have dashed lines that track between the default and exploded view position of the part.  

I attached some images of a quick example of what I mean below:

Thanks!

• david_parker8532david_parker8532 Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Hi!

I've been having issues off and on with 2 sets of Spacemouse Wireless (using wired connection) and Cadmouse setups - one at home and one at work.  I too am familiar with regular driver stop/starts (be sure to Run as Admin when you restart) etc.  I opened a ticket a while ago with their support - Here's the help they gave me and at least that has reduced it from showstopper to medium annoyance!

Try exporting and resetting the current config settings to clear any files.

To do this:

1. Open your 3Dconnexion Home panel

2. Select settings

3. Click on more

4. Click on export settings. Save this to a place you can easily find.

5. Once you have done that, reset to default, and see if that fixes your issue.

If that doesn't work, then I would like to try a full clean uninstall and reinstall. This is a more indepth way than the standard uninstall and reinstall. To do this, please follow the instructions in the link below:

https://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/28

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    There are a lot of Onshapers here now... Ummm 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INC60aZlxeY
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    @Terryl_Brennan It is not recommended to use Assembly Configurations for creating an exploded view. There are several issues with this mainly around properties. Each configuration instance has its own set of properties so if you are doing this for drawing view you will have to duplicate and maintain the metadata of your parts (don't forget every time you create a new revision/version you will have to remember to do this as well). The best thing to do right now is follow our Technical Briefing recommendations here: https://learn.onshape.com/courses/exploded-views
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• SmilesonicaSmilesonica Member Posts: 27 PRO
    @bradley_sauln  I can see why its not recommended the way the tool exists now.  My point here was just that the functionality is so so similar to what I would want from an exploded view tool that, as an outsider looking in, it would make sense to leverage the assembly configuration tools to exploded views. To put it another way, it seems like a straightforward thing to create a special type of assembly configuration where it doesn't duplicate the metadata and other issues.  To be honest it seems like less abuse using configurations than using branching for an exploded view.  Thanks for your feedback though.