Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

[New] Extend/Trim Edges FS

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
With this custom feature you can select two edges and automatically extend or trim the surfaces so the edges intersect!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cbe410e5c44c9abf4e218496/v/4a1925e806a6d04ca473a864/e/b56a4d83f2e98a1be655ccef

Like my previous Fill Gaps feature, keep in mind that this may not always work on broken imported surfaces and has the same limitations as our current Split feature.
Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Thanks Tim!  Glad to get another tool in the quest...
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Just pushed a new version! Now with better error messaging and more supported use cases:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cbe410e5c44c9abf4e218496/v/a1cc694c39ca429910db271c/e/b56a4d83f2e98a1be655ccef
    Onshape, Inc.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    great stuff Tim!  Question - what is the logic of the 'Keep method'?  (Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary)  or is it just trial and error...?

www.accuratepattern.com
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @TimRice
    Couldn't you just use opEdgeChange and extend each edge up to the opposite face (opEdgeChange should allow you to trim the face)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @TimRice nice extend trim feature script.

What does keep method:primary, secondary ... mean?

If I select:

Was expecting:

Can't seem to pick 1, 2, 3 or 4 to get this result:

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @MBartlett21
     I didn't know about opEdgeChange but I will take a look at implementing that instead. 

@billy2 and @bruce_williams
    The Keep method determines which of the four surfaces are deleted after the split. No logic to the naming of primary, secondary, etc. just trial and error for each case.
    Onshape, Inc.
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I'm trying to use this but get an error indicating the edges do not intersect.
    Here is a link to my model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9e862dc61083856716a3b568/w/9518ac2e5bf0597d55ad12a6/e/c50c166b6c4305a5f254da74
    What I want is to have the surfaces extend to where they intersect with each other.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @rex_hanson

Could you try out the new built-in move boundary feature and see if that works for you?
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/move-boundary.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    That doesn't seem to work either. I think it might be because both surfaces need to extend to intersect with each other.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @rex_hanson

Could you extend one far enough to be past the intersection, extend the second to the first, and then trim back the first?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    The surfaces are defined from a point cloud obtained from a Romer absolute arm CMM. I think my best bet will be to redigitize the surface to include a lot of data points near the intersections of the two surfaces. It's tricky because the intersection of the two curves surfaces changes from a nearly hard edge at the beginning to a radius at the other end so the intersection is difficult to define with a fillet.

Thanks for trying to help.