Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

View Cube Zoom?

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
edited April 2019 in Using Onshape
Hi folks.

I'm wondering if I'm alone in finding the behavior of clicking on the view cube annoying?  I like the rotation but feel that it shouldn't automatically zoom to fit.  I'd like to be able to turn that off in a preference or at least hold a modifier key to inhibit it.

Cheers, Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    The zoom to fit doesn't really bother me but don't really use the cube a lot and when I do it is probably for an overall view of the workspace the zoom to fit is ideal. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @owen_sparks
    I have had the same thought.  Then thinking more; how would it know where you want to focus?  Since you move the cursor to cube, the software does not have the center of rotation 'automagically' like when rotating with mouse. It would be more frustrating to have it rotate with part not located on what I want (although mind-reading could be handy)  :)

So using the present keyboard shortcuts is a good way to go for me.  Normal (N key) does close to what you are asking.  It rotates and centers on selected face AND does not change zoom factor.  I love that - all without moving the cursor away from the area.  Along with N, I am using window zoom (W) more, esp. on large jobs when the mouse wheel takes too many spins to get zoomed.  Then the arrow keys are nice to make 45 degree snap rotations, keeping whatever odd angle the part is at.

I suppose the view keyboard shortcuts (shift 1 - 7) could function without changing zoom and center on the cursor.  I would vote on that if you want to do an IR.  Like @brucebartlett said it seems the cube is fine for overview stuff.  When I am working close in,  moving the cursor all the way to the cube is just too far.  :)  

I expect when the OS folks implement custom shortcuts our dreams will be wildly exceeded...

www.accuratepattern.com
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Good points various Bruce's, I hadn't thought that through.
    I like the idea of keys to rotate about the cursor position.
    More thinking required.
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I only use view cube to get overall view and when totally lost for some reason.. Usually with big over 10x10 meter models it's quicker to zoom back with view cube than 3d mouse or scrooooool.. So I would say I like it the way it is, but wouldn't hurt to have shift+click function or so.
    I suppose center would then be center of viewport?  
    //rami
  • erik_bongerserik_bongers Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Blender can do it. Fusion can do it. I'm sure onshape can figure it out as well.
    It would really be handy for checking alignments, overlaps, gaps, clearances at a zoomed in level.
    I use it constantly. In Onshape, having to zoom in again every time is annoying. 
    If you want to zoom out when you're "lost in the maze", you can simply press F to zoom to Full view.
    One drawback of switching to a 'true' view without zooming out, is that you can suddenly have your view blocked by some other object that is in the way of what you really wanted to look at. But my experience with other tools (mainly Blender) is that this is a more than acceptable trade-off.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Have you guys tried pressing "alt" while rotating?  It will realign you to a more canonical view (like the view cube does) but without changing the zoom.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team