Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I determine the folder location of the part I'm currently viewing?

kenvidiakenvidia Member Posts: 4 PRO
How do I determine the location of the part studio that I am currently viewing or working on?

It has happened to me several times where I am working on a larger assembly which has linked parts from elsewhere. Some of them I might like to use in yet another assembly.

How do I determine where these parts are actually located? The best method I have now is to open them, then return to the main Onshape home screen and click on the part in my list of recent opens. Surely there is a more direct way? Is there a way to see where linked parts are coming from within a parent assembly without opening them?

What about seeing a list of assemblies which use a given part? (ie. A list of places where the current part is linked). It would be handy to know what the knock-on effects will be if I modify a given part.

Answers

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I would like this as well.
    Could you please create an improvement request?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yes, I too find it difficult to find document locations
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    This is an issue I have also. I tried using labels to find things easier, but I can't figure out a way to select multiple labels to refine my search.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    I do also.
    I think that Google drive does a great job of this, and I think something similar could work well for Onshape Documents:

The little folder icon next to the File Name can be clicked for information, or to actually move a file from one location to another while you're in the file. This is a super nice feature!

• kenvidiakenvidia Member Posts: 4 PRO
    I would like this as well.
    Could you please create an improvement request?
    Since there doesn't appear to be an answer to my question, I've created a feature request here: 

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/11507/determine-folder-locations-of-current-part-studio-and-linked-parts
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    voted it up, it's worse when working with other people's stuff.

You can switch to it, but you still don't know where you are.