Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

automatically renaiming features

otaolafrotaolafr Member Posts: 113 EDU
I think I am not the only one going back and forward in a tree feature in a project and what I find myself almost every time is that I finish with a horrible numerated tree.
eg: extrusion 3 before extrusion 2 or plain 2 before plain 1 etc. what I mean is that the names of the features have not the "good" enumeration, something that could be helpful not at the moment of working in the project but more when we go back to an old project would be a button to rename the features in the good order

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Otaola_Franco You can name features when you create them by clicking on the pencil at the top.  Naming is indexed by the order you add them but adding any automation here is not going to widely adopted as naming conventions are subjective.  Best to do this as you go and avoid us building something.  This would be easy to build something in the API to do some clean tree.  This is not something we will be considering as a function of Onshape at this time.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    You can also name features when they are selected or you are editing them by pressing Shift+N
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited April 2019
    For the most part "extrude 1" vrs "extrude 3", etc is not important. Think of it as, "this extrude" or "that extrude also" you know what it does. If they were all in order, would it would not give any more insight into where in the 3D model it was editing. The only way for that is to explicitly name each feature as lougallo said, using the pencil or "Shift+n"

You would typically select an object in the 3D space and look to your tree to see what highlights. Feature names are usually generic 1, 2, 3... I honestly can't say I've ever given the number a second thought until today.
    You should have seen how I was trained in autodesk mechanical desktop...  :#
    The tree was full of random keyboard strokes for each part name.. literally:
    sntahueo
    adntohuenth
    hud
    tahdoud
    aoehdc1
    tnhuahc__1
    tehaurc

LOL the only way we knew what part we needed to select on the tree was to copy and paste a part in 3D space and see what the name was on the bottom of the tree...  OMG... Memories... How did I ever get where I am today...  :s

On the other hand I would agree, there are some features that should have more explanatory names, like "Hole" It should state what hole size it is without having to edit the feature.
    Example:
    1/2-13 Thread
    1/4" Clearance
    C'Sink 5/8
    Drilled 5mm
    etc.

Edit:
    Just in-case you thought I was lieing about the tree names, I dug up an old model in our archives that happened to have a .step file from 2006 I could open with Onshape.. and yes, that was a final released job... LOL that crap wouldn't fly now-a-days

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I tend to focus on naming sketches and ignore the feature names except when using hole. The hole feature gets renamed to it's size.

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    The only time I ever change the name of features is when my tree starts to get rather long and it becomes a challenge to figure out which feature is which, or as the OP is finding, when reordering features.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Thanks to folders, I've minimized the need to rename every feature.

As long as I know about which part it belongs to, the folder structure works out nicely